Interest in Basics of Video Class?

Hello!

I’m a new member waiting for the open house this Thursday.

Just wanted to put a feeler out there, would there be any interest in a basics of video class?

I work in television/video production professionally. I have knowledge on how to expose an image for video and the science behind how it crafts what we see as a viewer. I also have experience with Non linear editing systems (Avid, Premiere, Final Cut, etc…) and some Photoshop and After Effects experience. I could provide my own camera during the classes or assist with DMS’ or participant’s existing equipment.

Looking for a way to give back as soon as I can!

Thanks!

5 Likes

Corbin,

Welcome to the space! I hope you don’t mind, but I moved your post from creative arts to digital media. Digital Media is our committee where things like video, photography, and audio stuff takes place.

In my experience, if you teach a class, people will come. I have found our members interested in learning, and in many cases learning just to learn. I suspect you would find a lot of interest in your class!

1 Like

We have need for lots of Media Production classes. I’ve given some impromptu instruction to a few people who wanted to learn some, and I keep meaning to dive into teaching some classes on AE and if I can get my chops sharpened on Premiere then I’ll do some of those too, but if you’re willing, I’ll bet that you have a bunch of takers.

One issue that you’ll run into is that we basically have 2x Media stations with Adobe licenses on them. There is no way to float an Adobe license, so having more than about 6 people be in a class would be difficult, due to constraints of square footage and just allowing time on the machines. We are also always at a bit of a constraint when it comes to media storage and working space. Our NAS is pretty quick, but still not really optimal for editing, and the local storage gets very full, very quick, which is a real issue for cache in PP.

When it comes to shooting, we do have a RX10, which gives decent images, but has all the usual pitfalls of DSLR shooting. We also cannot allow the camera to leave the premises, which limits some creativity, but there is a big need for training and marketing for the Space too.

I’m figuring out the basics of Sony Movie Studio Suite and putting up videos about repair techniques and repairs for common arcade game board issues. So far I have a few videos up but they really need improvements.

I’m trying to figure out camera angles and how to record a series of tasks that requires really odd angles for capturing what is happening like using a logic probe or desoldering components.

I’m thinking of a small weighted base like a microphone stand with a small boom on it and a hot shoe on the end to hold a small Canon Vixia HD capable camcorder. The harder part is figuring out a remote activation switch for turning recording on and off.

Would your classes help with some of these things?

I’ve suggested that DMS Media needs a GoPro. Very well suited for this type of shooting.

I don’t know if that specifically could be covered in a class but I for sure could help you out!

I may have access to a sony action cam that you could trigger from any WiFi enabled device.

Let me get through the open house then we can talk about how to get that accomplished!