Interest for safety class

Is there a set schedule for when safety classes are done for metal shop? I’d like to get my safety orientation out of the way so I can take the other classes which look amazing. If there’s not, I’m raising my hand for interest in this.

1 Like

I try to get one out there every 3 weeks, or so, but it’s not a “set schedule”, and I’m not the only one teaching it (at least I’m 90% sure others have happened recently).
I’ve been a bit remiss lately because life happens (I had to scrap my plans for the 25th, specifically), but I’ll see what I can do to put one out there “soonish”…

I’m planning on starting to teach that class as well. I’ll watch for your next one and sit in (for real this time).

1 Like

I’ll count on it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very interested in this class as well.

I would like to attend a safety class as well. I wasn’t aware it was a prereq for the welding courses and do not remember seeing a safety class for welding offered.

it depends on the instructor; the standalone safety class qualifies for all of our hot work except the large oven. For the machine side they get specific.
Some instructors insist on teaching the safety with their machine side class, which is fine but limits the size a bit more and takes longer to move the number of people.
Some teach just the operation of the machine and require the safety class before hand.

It’s biggest value is once you have taken our hot process safety you can test out on some of the equipment and skip the class if you have prior experience. Additionally if you see the classes available where the instructor has less time / more students, and requires it before hand, you already have it.

As for scheduling we are all volunteers and unfortunately it’s hard to move a lot of students through the welding area due to space and equipment limitations. It also doesn’t help that it ends up tying the welding bay completely and tends to get people kicked off some equipment whilst the class is in session which means we try to spread them out.

-Jim

1 Like

Jim,

Thanks for the clarification(s).

If I am correctly reading between the lines, there’s no safety class scheduled and there’s no telling when it’ll be scheduled, because ya’ll are busy and it’s a bit of a pain in the arse for volunteers teaching and members using the equipment.

Is there a way that I could help fo facilitate a safety class sooner rather than later? I am happy to volunteer my time for this (and I hope to be able to volunteer to teach the class in the future). I have a project for which I need to weld and use the big oven.

Thank you,

Adam

@Team_Metal_Shop know of anyone that has a safety class coming up / hasn’t hit the calendar yet?

Nothing in the queue at the moment.

I would like schedule a safety class. What time of day would be better to hold it, day or evening?

Would schedule for 27th, but I am not finding open room when I have time (19:00 ish) …
@Bill any space you can see is available Wednesday?

Dynatorch class is that night, 6:30 to 8.

1 Like

Thank you.
I usually do it in a classroom anyway, and walk through the metal shop to point and grunt.
Not finding any of those available, either (good problems, hard to make a class, though).

All of the classrooms are used. Can you reserve an area in the open workshop or it it usually too busy in the evenings to do that?

Hey, the Galley is open…

1 Like

Thank you.
I think I’ll look further out on the schedule.

1 Like

I see a safety class was scheduled and is now full. Arrrggg!!! Was busy for a bit and didn’t check in.

Question – can I show up at the class to see if anyone’s a no-show? I really want to attend this class so I can attend the welding class…

Thanks so much,

Adam

If this is for the class I’m teaching, of course you may.
Even if for a class which is NOT being taught by me, the rule of thumb is “show up early, advise the instructor you didn’t get in, but would like to standby in case of no show, and don’t get your feelings hurt if they are unable to accommodate you.” It has a corollary: bring/plan to work on other stuff in the event that all seats are filled.

Also, watch the calendar, because people cancel sometimes…

2 Likes

Thank you Jast

I am interested in taking the class, It filled up as soon as I found it. Any idea when the next open class will be?