Interest check - Polymer clay pen turning

Just checking to see if there is any interest out there for a 2 part class.

First part will be in Creative Arts, learning how to create polymer clay canes, which we will then assemble for use in the second part

Second part we will move to the woodshop where we will turn the blanks we have made previously, smoothing and polishing etc, and assembling the final pen.

I won’t be teaching Lathe 101, so all students will need to have previously taken this.

My most recent creation

along with bonus fridge magnets from leftovers :smiley:

And a seam ripper, which did NOT have the best color choice

11 Likes

That’s rad! If you set up more spaces for the polymer clay blank part I would take that and I bet a few of the other seasoned folks would too. I can learn how to make a pen later down the road :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m in, too. I actually bought some polymer clay patterned clay from Penn State Industries, too. I also have some of my own clays.

1 Like

Looks like some serious fun! I’m totally in!! :grin:

1 Like

I would also be totally in for the polymer clay portion… I have experience with turning pens and can allow someone else fill that spot since I know space is limited with only four Jet lathes, if you choose to split the class into separate portions and have more room for the first part than the second part.

Yeah, i’ve been thinking about that part throughout the day. I think we can cover ‘what to do’ in one class, and then folks can turn/finish the pen’s on their own time

2 Likes

Id be interested in taking class

That pen looks like sandworms!

1 Like

I’m definitely interested.

Class has been submitted for Thursday 14th at 7p. It should go live in a couple days.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20904

@Lordrook @coloneldan @Keith @SteveF @Briang284 @Scott_Blevins @jackietran @John_Marlow

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I have a Christmas party that evening. It should be a fun class though.

1 Like

Live now…
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20904

3 Likes

I scored the last spot!! Sweet!

Based on the process you use, will the pen bushings be required at this class? (Do we bake them in?) I see you have the option to bring/buy from your stock, but trying to determine when they’re needed. Thanks.

EDIT: What size(s) do you have? I may turn at home and need to check my mandrels.

1 Like

Yep, we will need bushings and mandrels. Basically, we hold the piece as it would look on the lathe, only removing it when we need to bake.

If you (or anyone) has spare pen mandrels, that would be super useful! (I have one, but i’m looking for more)