Interest Check: FreeCAD Class

While FreeCAD has always had its reputation for Janky modeling issues, as well as…interesting UI Design Decisions, with the long-awaited Version 1.0 in Feature Freeze, I think it’s time to start thinking about offering an Introductory FreeCAD Course.

Who would be interested? My idea is to go over the basics of the UI, then once everyone’s comfortable, go through a basic parametric modeling project, e.g. a 3D Printable Case for an Electronics Project. We could also briefly discuss why one would want to go with FreeCAD over a commercial solution like Fusion 360 or SolidWorks, most importantly licensing restrictions on selling your work.

Any ideas?

4 Likes

I’d be interested

I would be interested and willing to help and I would also be happy to teach a follow up on CAM using the Path workbench .

1 Like

I’d be interested.

I’d be interested.

Just so you know, the Premium version of Solidworks we have on the jump server isn’t limited to non-commercial use. There are no licensing restrictions of which I am aware. And as members we can get free individual licenses on which to learn.

I think that learning a simpler, nonprofessional software package (like FreeCAD?) could be a good, user-friendly stepping stone toward learning SolidWorks, which is one of our “sponsors.”

See this post for more info:

3 Likes

Good to know, however, the generosity of Dassault Systemes can change at any time without warning or reason.

1 Like

interested

Welcome to DMS Talk, Shaun!

Anyway, the responses to this Interest Check have exceeded my expectations. I wanted to gauge interest before planning a Class, and my idea was to wait for the Release of FreeCAD 1.0, since it’ll be such a huge leap forward in capability (Topological Naming Problem Solution, Integrated Assembly Workbench, etc.). However, if there’s this much interest, I may want to reconsider waiting it out…

From what I’ve read, FreeCAD 1.0 is currently in feature freeze, so they’re only waiting for bug fixes and testing before releasing the next Stable Version. Apparently they’re trying to get it out in time for some conference this August, but of course anything can happen, so we can’t count on that.

Anyway, I’d like to ask all interested parties: Should we wait for the Stable Release of FreeCAD 1.0, or just grab a release candidate from GitHub and get started sooner? I’d need some time to familiarize myself with the new version, since I’ve been waiting a while for the toponaming fix…

Also @Team_Infrastructure would you agree that it would be a good idea to install FreeCAD on the computers in the Pillar Room? From my experience teaching Blender Classes, not everyone brings their own laptop (myself included, I prefer to use the Podium Computer rather than fiddle with HDMI Connections). Even if Solidworks might be quite useful for many DMS Members, I still feel it’s important to promote Free and Open Source Software, and from the replies so far, it seems I’m not alone…

I’d say part of this is probably based on how easy it will be to upgrade DMS systems once installed. If we can easily upgrade once initially installed, I’d say grab and go. If not, wait.

TNP is a huge barrier and source of frustration for new users. I think it’s wise to wait for 1.0 on that alone. It really depends on how long that wait will be.

I agree on waiting for. TNP solution in 1.0 before training a lot of new users on freecad. THe tendency in new CAD users is to sketch-pad and aggregate shapes like in simple programs like tinkercad. That leaves them vulnerable to TNP errors if the original shape is changed due to TNP… Mapping shape origins to a xy plane and setting Coplanar z offsets is too advanced a solution to expect new users to understand and adopt.

I’m interested as well.

Ah. I see. You’ve been hurt before.

[somber music plays]

In all seriousness though, Dassault has been licensing to us for free for over a decade now. I have faith in them. They’re not Autodesk/Fusion360.

I am interested

Count me in as interested

Count me in as interested, too. Thanks!

I’m grateful for all the interest this idea is receiving, these replies have exceeded my expectations!

Anyway, my current plan is to wait for the release of FreeCAD 1.0, since the solution to the Topological Naming Problem will be such an Earth-shattering change to FreeCAD, that it’ll almost be a whole new program. I’m sure the release of 1.0 will also bump up the interest even beyond what’s already been expressed.

The only problem is, we don’t know when FreeCAD Version 1.0 will actually be released. It’s in Feature Freeze at the moment, so it’s hotly anticipated. They want to get it out in time for some conference occurring in August, so that’s my rough guess-timate for when 1.0 will come out. Even so, that’s nowhere near a guarantee, so we need to keep in mind that anything can happen.

If interest in this class remains at this level by the time 1.0 is released, I may need to consider holding two sessions…after all, the Pillar Room has limited seating.

2 Likes