Interest Check - Film Photography

Hello everyone,

I’ve been shooting/developing film since around 2010 as a hobby, and I wanted to gauge interest in a class for shooting or developing 35mm or 120 film in general.
It takes very little equipment to develop film, and you save a ton of money compared to sending it out.

Some of the topics I thought might be of interest:

• The basics of a film camera SLR/TLR
  • Have an old film camera you’d like to see if it works/learn how to use?
  • How to develop film (B&W, color or slide)
  • Digitizing negatives so they can be used in Photoshop/Lightroom for print or social media
  • There is also a possibility to cover darkroom enlargements if there is enough interest.

These could be demos or hands-on sessions, or a class series with loaner cameras

Feel free to share any specific interests I can try to work those in

Here are some sample shots I’ve taken, developed, and digitized:

-Kevin :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This would be awesome, been shooting film for a while but don’t even know where to begin on developing, scanning and darkroom printing!

1 Like

Iv always wanted to learn how to shoot and develop old cameras!

1 Like

Can you even buy 120/220 film anymore? I have an old Rollei …

Glad to see there’s enough interest for a class :slight_smile:
I am thinking I will probably break it down to two classes so people can join the process based on their experience level.

Keep an eye on the calendar for the class, and I will update on talk once i figure out how to do that

2 Likes

Thats awesome! I’ve always wanted to shoot with a Rollei.
120 film is still available I actually purchased some Ektachrome for my Yashica a few weeks ago at Don’s Photo near the Design District.

1 Like

Sadly, my exposure meter bit the dust long ago … Those old beauties didn’t have TTL metering.

Use your DSLR to meter. Set the ISO / ASA to what the film is, set the Rollei to the shutter speed and f stop. Some trial and error here, but should work. From what I remember of my film shooting days film has some exposure latitude both in the exposure and in the processing.

1 Like

Some B&W film and developer combinations could be pushed well past their rated speed. But it didn’t really help their dynamic range. Though some film was considerably more forgiving than others. But still nothing like modern digital sensors and multiple exposure high dynamic range techniques.

There are smartphone apps for both iOS and Android that let you use your phone’s camera as a light meter as well

3 Likes

Both classes have been added to the calendar!
All details are in the class descriptions, but let me know if you have any questions or would like to see something in particular covered

The first class will go over the basics of photography and hands on learning with various cameras, so you can begin shooting film right away
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/21262

The second class will go over what you need for the development process, and you will then develop your own roll of one of the most popular B&W film stocks, Ilford HP5 Plus.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/21277

If these two classes get enough interest I will put together classes on darkroom enlargement and digitizing negatives next

3 Likes