Interest Check: Beginner and Intermediate Blender Classes

Hello all,

My previous Blender Classes have been a success, so I’m thinking about doing it again. This time, I’m thinking about offering two classes in one day, a Morning Class to introduce Beginners to the Basics, and an Intermediate Class in the Afternoon to serve as a more free-form interactive session, where I try to answer your questions about how to model specific things for specific purposes.

I’m thinking about some time in the middle of February. Who’s interested? Any suggestions or requests?

3 Likes

I’m interested, although classes on different days would be better in my opinion. Too much of a fire hose of information leads to lack of retention.

And February is pretty much a no-go for me anyway. sigh.

OHHHH I LOVEEEE Blender and have a vast collection of add ons for doing stuff.
I’d love to help teach or do an advanced class for simulations, geometry nodes and animations in blender as well as the Blender/Marvelous designer/unreal engine pipeline.

2 Likes

I’d be interested. depends on day and time. Would have to be on a Saturday for me.

FYI for anyone teaching a class…
Please make sure to let infrastructure know of any versions of software/ plugins and on what computers you may need them installed on at LEAST 2 weeks before a class is scheduled to start.

As all of infra is volunteer run, and we need to do some sanity checks to make sure it doesn’t conflict with software it can take this long to get around to. Obviously if the software’s already the right version that you’re looking for and stuff, an infra request isn’t needed.

1 Like

If we’re doing Blender classes, I highly highly recommend the program “Blender Launcher” is installed.

It will allow everyone to have version control of Blender without needing to reach out here for a reinstall.

You can download any version of blender from 2.8-4.0, alpha, betas, experimental and stables.
At this point, its essential to ensure you can use any add on available and sometimes, geometry node are named differently from version to version breaking add ons.

The Program is free and open source.

1 Like

So far, my Blender Classes have been super basic, i.e. how to navigate the UI, move the camera, extrude the default cube, etc. After familiarizing everyone with the basics, I’d move on to some more slightly advanced stuff, subdivision surface modifiers, etc. I mostly went for the basic knowledge useful for editing .stl files for 3D Printing. I haven’t kept up with most of the new Geometry Nodes stuff, so maybe we ought to meet up at some point.

I’m still considering the exact date and time, but I’ll post the event here after it gets approved.

I’m definitely interested. Thx.

It took longer than I expected to get these events approved, but my two classes for Saturday, the 17th are up:

Morning Class:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/21244

Afternoon Class:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/21245

The Afternoon session is intended as a freeform, intermediate workshop, where I basically just answer questions about how to model a specific thing, or how to solve a specific problem. It’s kinda sorta assumed that you will know the barebones basics, whether from one of my previous classes, or from your own self-study / experience, but I’ll still teach newbies all about the default cube if there isn’t much else going on.