Interest Check: 3D Papercraft

Is there any interest in a papercraft class? I found some old posts in Talk where a few people mentioned its existence but surprisingly it seems to be a very quiet subject. I figured I’d ask about interest before trying to get a class set up. I could cover a wide range of topics related to it based on interest, including building the 3d models, unfolding the model in Pepakura, exporting the model for either print or laser cutting, and refolding/constructing. I haven’t ever hardened any models with resin but I plan to experiment with that because it’s very useful when using papercraft for cosplay.

On a related note, I think it would be worthwhile to purchase license(s) to Pepakura for the computers. It is a staple for most papercraft projects and has perpetual licenses for $38 (or a bulk discount for 10+ licenses).

5 Likes

Pepakura would be great to have on one (or two) of the computers. For those who don’t know what it is, imagine taking a 3D model from Fusion, Blender etc. Pepakura will take that model and create a flat model to be printed/cut onto paper/card for you to assemble.

Very handy dandy.

Also, i’d be interested in this class :smiley:

4 Likes

I would love to take one,

Interested. As a kid, I often made polyhedrons out of paper.

http://www.polytope.net/hedrondude/polyhedra.htm

2 Likes

It sounds like the interest is there. I’m going to look into setting something up.

1 Like

Open a “REQUEST” thread in the #issues-requests category and be sure to “mention” (tag) @Team_Creative_Arts to get approval from the current chair, Nicole (@uglyknees). Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll put the licenses down on the talking points for the CA meeting.

2 Likes