Instructors: Where would YOU like to look for Class Requests? [POLL posted]

Dunno. It might be a good idea to have them be separate from issues, so I guess under Classrooms.

1 Like

Any idea when this might happen? @AlexRhodes

I dont want to give a hard time line because I dont fully know his schedule but it should be on github in the next couple weeks. He is currently looking at the best way to segment it so sensitive data isn’t on github and look at how we want to integrate updating and branches. So far all updates have been manual but we will be connecting the server to github for pulls. Really don’t want to rush this part.

5 Likes

I think better under Classrooms somewhere.
I like the idea of it.

I think of the issue/request category more for problem/resolution and limited discussion. And also resolved/closed (and off radar).

1 Like

Interest check is the best place.

Instructors can use it to gauge interest before preparing a class.

People seeking particular instruction can post their requests. Instructors considering that subject becomes aware of the need.

Members in general can express interest to encourage the teaching of classes they find interesting.

There is synergy having all of this in one place.

3 Likes

Let’s make this easier to visualize with a poll…

Instructors: Where would YOU like to look for Class Requests?

NOTE: VOTES are PUBLIC on this poll (everyone can see which option you vote for…)
  • Continue posting class requests under the committee related category (no change)
  • Post in a new “Class Request” sub-category under the #issues-requests category
  • Post in a new “Class Request” sub-category under the #classrooms category
  • Post in the existing #classrooms:interest-check sub-category under the classrooms category

0 voters

[Click here to jump back up to the top of this thread]

Problem is, newbies aren’t going to know where to post, so they’re all going to go into the committee (at best) or more likely, General categories. But I posted my vote for what makes the most sense to me anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a common “issue” for any type of post from new TALK users. We (moderators, level 4 forum leaders, and myself) generally either just move incorrectly posted messages where they most closely belong and/or politely point it out and suggest they move it… A learning curve is expected to some degree. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input! It’s much appreciated! :dms: :plasmacam_smiley:

1 Like

@bitta, I see you have been updating various “class request” type of threads today. Would you please consider taking a moment to vote on the poll in this thread, to help us decide the best way to encourage a centralized place for instructors to find the class requests that get posted by members. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

We make everything more complicated than it needs to be.

Interest check is not a category title that would suggest a “class request.” This would only increase the learning curve of the teachers knowing where to look and the posters knowing where to post.

Also, there is no reason to involve classroom committee as they don’t run the scheduling system nor do they tend to be the committee that the teacher even looks at. I’m not even sure if the classroom committee does anything at the space any more. Their role to date has been cleaning up the classrooms and maintaining the equipment.

Keep it obvious so the untrained can intrinsically post correctly.

1 Like

@Nick, What’s “obvious” to you may be the last place someone else may check. You posted a good point in the original post, which is why I am now requesting feedback from the members most likely to take advantage of the change.

Have you read through the comments? The options in the poll are a direct result of ideas that have been suggested so far.

Thanks again for the base idea! Don’t forget to vote in the poll! :slight_smile:

The thought that just occurred to me is that, once we’re agreed, we can make that a talking point during Tours. And, maybe a blurb in Events?

3 Likes

Perhaps even add it to the 411 wiki page and New Members handbook…?!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe place a link on the calendar page.

4 Likes

This would be ideal, but would require some programming.

1 Like

@Adam_Oas, I like the idea, but I have a couple concerns. An indication of interest is only valid, IMO, when there is a specific time frame is associated with it.

People say that they’d like a such-and-such class, but if that isn’t recent information, it isn’t reliable. They may have already found another way to accomplish their project or may have lost interest. It may also have been a “well, I’d kinda like to take the class but if it doesn’t fit into my ideal schedule I won’t make an effort”.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would likely fill out that type of a “survey” but then I would forget that I had stuff on it so I likely wouldn’t update it.

If we were able to implement something like you’ve suggested, we would need a way to keep the information current.

2 Likes

I like the idea of continuing to post in the category (woodshop, metal shop, etc.) and I’d like to explain why. I think that would reach the broadest base of potential instructors, not just the existing instructors. People who aren’t necessarily thinking, “gee, I’d like to teach a class” might see a request in a subject area where they are familiar (like woodshop, for instance), and think, “wow! I could teach that class”.

If it’s segregated into some other topic, I fear we will miss some potential instructors.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah! The number of folks that will sign up and not show!! And a general expression of interest would be even more tenuous… Still, it might be good if we had way of contacting said interested parties so that we could coordinate class timings.

3 Likes

I just submitted the class the other night and it should be showing up on the calendar soon.

I voted for Interest Check, but people should tag the team appropriate to the request so that the committee members are more likely to see it.

1 Like