Instructors: Where would YOU like to look for Class Requests? [POLL posted]

Maybe place a link on the calendar page.

4 Likes

This would be ideal, but would require some programming.

1 Like

@Adam_Oas, I like the idea, but I have a couple concerns. An indication of interest is only valid, IMO, when there is a specific time frame is associated with it.

People say that they’d like a such-and-such class, but if that isn’t recent information, it isn’t reliable. They may have already found another way to accomplish their project or may have lost interest. It may also have been a “well, I’d kinda like to take the class but if it doesn’t fit into my ideal schedule I won’t make an effort”.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would likely fill out that type of a “survey” but then I would forget that I had stuff on it so I likely wouldn’t update it.

If we were able to implement something like you’ve suggested, we would need a way to keep the information current.

2 Likes

I like the idea of continuing to post in the category (woodshop, metal shop, etc.) and I’d like to explain why. I think that would reach the broadest base of potential instructors, not just the existing instructors. People who aren’t necessarily thinking, “gee, I’d like to teach a class” might see a request in a subject area where they are familiar (like woodshop, for instance), and think, “wow! I could teach that class”.

If it’s segregated into some other topic, I fear we will miss some potential instructors.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah! The number of folks that will sign up and not show!! And a general expression of interest would be even more tenuous… Still, it might be good if we had way of contacting said interested parties so that we could coordinate class timings.

3 Likes

I just submitted the class the other night and it should be showing up on the calendar soon.

I voted for Interest Check, but people should tag the team appropriate to the request so that the committee members are more likely to see it.

1 Like

Why you don’t want class requests in your committee section on talk?

1. Because they are often snarky or demanding of the committee. This is especially true when the class is stopping “ME” from doing my “project.” So separating it from the committee thread lowers the amount of potential negative-ish threads while searching the committee section.
  2. When posting in a committee section you are diluting the class request among the noise of normal committee communications, making the lack of a needed class less visible.
  3. in the long run, Class requests mean nothing to a committee, archiving them with the communications of a committee is like archiving spam in your email.

Why Class Request should be under issues / requests?

1. Because, it is a “Request” for a class. Request is literally in the title of that category.
  2. None of our classes are required to be taught by members of a committee. Many classes are taught by committee members, but it isn’t a requirement.
  3. Negative posts in this category don’t have an obvious target, so when they happen, they tend to burn out quicker and with less vitriol.
  4. Class request thread tend to be just a few post, also fitting with the formatting of the section.

Why Class Requests should be a sub category?

1. Because the requests are made in many different manners and this makes searching them out with our forum search pretty difficult. So allowing the manual sorting we do by categorizing would make that easier.
  2. If you want to teach a class, it is 2 clicks from the talk page to see all the class requests we have gotten. Making it that simple to gauge want takes away a large barrier to possible teachers submitting a class to the calendar.

Now if we wanted to make this super spiffy, figure out how to add a link at the top of the threads that says, “Would you like to teach this class?” and have that link to the calendar submission page or a wiki page explaining the process.

I’m ready for the 7 more polls I’m sure this will lead to.

1 Like

I also think Chairs tend follow their own committee requests and may be able to rustle up some instructors.

2 Likes

:bulb: Just a reminder to vote in the poll so we have a one-stop place to see where the instructors teaching the classes would prefer to look.

(of course, if you plan on posting any requests for classes, you are more than welcome to vote as well - to let us know where you would be likely to look for a place to request the class… :slight_smile: )

[center][[**Click here to jump to the poll**](https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/instructors-where-would-you-like-to-look-for-class-requests-poll-posted/17558/13?u=lisaselk)][/center]
[Click here to jump back up to the top of this thread]

Update:

It looks like the majority who have voted so far prefer to either start using the existing #classrooms:interest-check subcategory to post requests for training (43%) or continue posting the class requests under the category most closely associated with the tool or resource like we have been doing (29%).

Since neither of the top two requires a new category to be created, I am going to leave the poll and this thread open for now and suggest that members use continue to use their best judgment when deciding where to create new threads. If in the future the numbers change significantly, we will consider creating a new category as suggested by the results of the poll at that time.

:bulb: Here’s a link to vote in the poll if you have a strong opinion regarding the suggestion to create a new sub-category so we have a one-stop place to see where the instructors teaching the classes would prefer to look.

(of course, if you plan on posting any requests for classes, you are more than welcome to vote as well - to let us know where you would be likely to look for a place to request the class… :slight_smile: )

[center][[**Click here to jump to the poll**](https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/instructors-where-would-you-like-to-look-for-class-requests-poll-posted/17558/13?u=lisaselk)][/center]
[Click here to jump back up to the top of this thread]
1 Like