Input. Ready go!

I came across this today and I would like i thoughts on this. Ready go!

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/products/shtf-uppers/product/44-shtf-50-single-shot-upper-conversion

It isn’t a simple swap the uppers back and forth case. From their documentation, it requires changing the hammer, hammer spring, removing the disconnector, and the bolt catch.

And fundamentally, they never specify which 50 caliber cartridge it takes. One would tend to assume 50 BMG, but it could be .50 Alaskan, .50 Beowolf, or it could even be 50AE, or quite a number of other possibilities. If they can’t even clearly state that, what other things have they overlooked?

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to be a very good idea. Since it is bolt action, it would seem that it would be easier to break the takedown pin area.

Also looks like something that would pulverize a composite lower or composite stock.

A good point, though all the actual bullet recoil of a 5.56/223 happens while the bolt is locked to the barrel that is rigidly attached to the upper and transfers through the takedown pins, it is a much smaller force. It is only the often larger perceived recoil from the BCG that is cycling against the buffer spring, and all that energy came from the gas system, not recoil.

If looking to get into to a .50 look at the RN 50 by serbu it a single shot with a cap but it a .50

Yes, that is a 50 BMG, M33 ball. Can you say “detached retina?” That gun would weigh less than 20 pounds. That would be BRUTAL to shoot. I agree that the AR 15 lower wouldn’t last very long.

1 Like

1 Like

Got curious…

2 Likes

Now my sides hurt…
Just goes to show that no matter how smart the device, they’ll just create a better idiot…

2 Likes

Lol ok well at least y’all all thought the same things I did when I found this. I wanted to make sure i wasn’t being overly judgemental

Well I just watched a video from the guys at Safety Harbor Firearms and the claim they have put more than 2k rounds through one on a AR15 lower with no problem… thoughts?

Predicting the time when metal will fail is pretty hard. Believing a salesman’s life expectancy of his product is even harder.

2 Likes

I’m just playing devils advocate here lol

I’m personally saving for the Serbu BFG-50A

I have had that lust in the past - if you lie down the feeling might pass.

6 Likes

How are these different from the .458 conversions?

@thatguy, you crack me up with the back down talk. If you want the conversion, go for it. I haven’t heard anyone’s first hand experience with the conversion on this thread. So to be honest we are all mainly talking out of our asses.

That being said, it does seem a bit too good to be true. But, it might be what it claims. I’m not sure you can ever build a rifle strong enough for Russell so watch out looking for his sign off on build quality. But, from being behind my 308 and my buddy’s FAL 308, I can tell you weight matters. The FAL kicked a lot harder than my bolt action. I would guess this was due to it being the lighter gun mainly.

If you want to beat yourself up, I would bet this conversion would likely fill that role. If you want to walk in as the “big dog” at the range, it would probably fill that role as well. Accuracy and reliability, who knows.

1 Like

Because to my knowledge the 458 socom is still semi-auto. The recoil of the bolt into the buffer spring would/should reduce the recoil.

1 Like