In need of a turner who would like a paid project

UPDATE: I have had 3-4 expressions of interest and it appears the length is manageable. Now I need to get more specifics from the customer and put eyeballs on his wood. This is the part that invariably comes with what I have come to call “expected surprises”. Will get back to those who have expressed interest this weekend and look for a path forward.
Thanks,
Bert

1 Like

23 posts were split to a new topic: Handmade costs cheaper than China? vs. lawnmowing

Here is my guesstimate (but I’m not offering to do the work):
30 min total each to mount and rough out.
60 pieces = 30 hours
Skilled labor = 15-20/hr minimum

Not including tool usage, you’re at 450-600. Additional details or shaping takes time, i.e. costs more. I would throw $50 in there for tool usage and donate to the woodshop.

Not a bad excuse to buy a big ass spindle roughing gouge or skew.

2 Likes

Matthew, that’s precisely the math I did, lol (plus a possible 10 hrs if the wood is crap and you have to go slow). And we DO have a large roughing gouge in the workshop, its like 2 inches. I sharpened it the other day after a class.

Just wow. I rebuilt my fence about 18 months ago. Materials alone with close to $3k.

Well golly gee, so I’m not the only maker who has customers who think it ought to be way, way cheaper than China made since there’s no shipping!

2 Likes

First time in my life I wish I was a moderator…

1 Like

but how would it carry the coconut?

2 Likes

Wouldnt it be laden then?

Are these “logs” wet of kiln dried? Just thought I’d ask for the lucky turner.

1 Like