In need of a turner who would like a paid project

So that’s why your dog has that odd look on his face!

1 Like

I actually thought we had an extension for the One Way.

2 Likes

Checking with customer to see if 40" is a requirement versus just what happens to exist.

The extension gets it to 36" I think

This is what I thought we owned. I know I’ve seen someone in the past turning a much longer object than 36 inches. https://oneway.ca/60"-Bed-Extension

If the 40" can be cut down to fit on the DMS lathes, PM and I’ll do the job

I was also told we had a 60" bed extender.

1 Like

We did have an extension for the one-way. I turned a shaft a while back, I think the shaft was 42" long? I don’t remember the extension being long enough to turn something 60" long.

any idea where the extension is?

It used to just sit on the floor by the one-way. No idea where now.

The bed on the oneway is 37". The extension is currently behind it. It is 17". Total length is then 54", minus the length of the mounting options (live centers, spur drivers, faceplate, whatever).

4 Likes

UPDATE: I have had 3-4 expressions of interest and it appears the length is manageable. Now I need to get more specifics from the customer and put eyeballs on his wood. This is the part that invariably comes with what I have come to call “expected surprises”. Will get back to those who have expressed interest this weekend and look for a path forward.
Thanks,
Bert

1 Like

23 posts were split to a new topic: Handmade costs cheaper than China? vs. lawnmowing

Here is my guesstimate (but I’m not offering to do the work):
30 min total each to mount and rough out.
60 pieces = 30 hours
Skilled labor = 15-20/hr minimum

Not including tool usage, you’re at 450-600. Additional details or shaping takes time, i.e. costs more. I would throw $50 in there for tool usage and donate to the woodshop.

Not a bad excuse to buy a big ass spindle roughing gouge or skew.

2 Likes

Matthew, that’s precisely the math I did, lol (plus a possible 10 hrs if the wood is crap and you have to go slow). And we DO have a large roughing gouge in the workshop, its like 2 inches. I sharpened it the other day after a class.

Just wow. I rebuilt my fence about 18 months ago. Materials alone with close to $3k.

Well golly gee, so I’m not the only maker who has customers who think it ought to be way, way cheaper than China made since there’s no shipping!

2 Likes

First time in my life I wish I was a moderator…

1 Like

but how would it carry the coconut?

2 Likes

Wouldnt it be laden then?

Are these “logs” wet of kiln dried? Just thought I’d ask for the lucky turner.

1 Like