I'm New - Torch Question

I’m new to DMS and I have questions about torches and torch use. What fuel(s) are available? If I have my own oxy acetylene torch, may I use it at DMA? Is there a required safety training or will the hot process safety training that I completed for metal shop cover jewelry/small metals?

I am assuming that Jewelry uses the same protocol for oxy/acetylene that Metal Shop does – you’re welcome to bring it and use it, but you must remain near it at all times, and it definitely goes home with you. Jewelry uses the hydro-flux torch, which uses water for fuel.

@sroriginals is teaching a class on the hydroflux torch this Thursday. It’s currently full, but Sue puts them on the schedule so early that people forget that they signed up.

In addition to the Hydroflux, we have various small Blazer torches, but you bring your own propane for those.

Regarding your own oxy torch, you should talk with the committee chair Joseph @nausser915 to make sure we have adequate fire shields, bricks, etc. for whatever you’re trying to accomplish. Making small joints is one thing, reclaiming cast metals into grain is a whole 'nother thing entirely.

You are welcome to come to the hydroflux class and learn this interesting torch. We also sometimes use propane or MAPP gas torches, but you need to bring your own gas canisters (and possibly your own tips, depending on what you prefer). I’ll be happy to show you around Thursday night.