Ideas to take off a little

Hi I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to take some off the small square stock I have pictured. The inside diameter is .74 inches and the outside diameter of the smaller is .75 inches. I am needing it to fit and able to slide in and out. It’s 8 feet long thanks!

Anytime I needed to do something like that, I just used a flap wheel on an angle grinder and just took a little bit off each side until it fit smoothly without much play.

But I never needed anything super, super, super precise so I don’t know if that would work for you.

@TBJK would be the guy to ask for better/faster/ more accurate results if you need it exact and Dead on.

2 Likes

Clamp it in a vise on the Bridgeport? You will need to make many passes with stock that long.

2 Likes

So question is what is the frequency of how often you will be moving them in & out? The aluminum will gall if you move them in & out at a fairly regular frequency. If you are needing them to slide in & out at a regular frequency. I suggest that after machining undersize to use UMHW for your friction pads to allow for it to move but not gall.

It could be machined on the Bridgeport but would take multiple setups.

2 Likes

It will probably be moved in in out a a frequency of no more than 10 times a day but most likely not utilized that often. I’ll look into adding UMHW to the sides as friction pads. Thanks!

1 Like