Ideas for Sewing Class Topics?

I just started a draping class at El Centro this semester, and I’m already excited for the possibilities of what I’ll learn and create!

I certainly want to practice throughout the semester and wanted to get a feel of who might be interested in teaching a class or two to make sure I fully understand some of the new concepts and that I remember things I’ve previously learned!

So, question to everyone:
What are some things that you’ve wanted to learn as it relates to sewing?

I’ve learned a little bit of pattern making, basic garment construction, some fashion history (for those who want some historical inspiration for making new garments), a semester’s worth of knowledge (though minimal application) of fashion show production, and a high level intro to textile identification.

I learn best when I explain things, and I certainly can’t claim to be an expert at anything. BUT I’d love to get a feel for what people want to learn so I can pass on what I know and learn even more with you along the way!

1 Like

Well, I was hoping someone would chime in on this – @noblegoblin ?

I was planning to make some curtains and was getting ready to ask for some help actually if that sounds interesting?

1 Like

I feel like it’s completely unrelated but messenger bags.

3 Likes

Both of these things are simple enough that they’re within my scope. I was hoping we’d have some interest in making patterns, maybe some fashion design for Charles.

That said, @charlesd1991 , the last time we had some one who was learning fashion design, they taught some pattern making classes, and I believe that all those classes were full.

I have found that Talk is meh at best for connecting with students. Generally, you put something that you want to teach on the Calendar, and it fills, or it doesn’t. Personally, I never post classes on Monday or Friday evening. Well, I did, but the folks who signed up forgot that they were in a class that night.

3 Likes

I seem to recall that Serena taught a bunch of pattern and sloper classes several years ago. Weren’t those well-attended?

EDIT: And didn’t she teach a zippers class about a zillion times? That would suggest to me that it might have been popular.

2 Likes

Stop by the open serger hours tomorrow if you can, you can talk in person with several members and teachers of potential areas of interest. There will be people in Interactive pretty much all afternoon.

I do know there is solid interest in classes on taking measurements and reading patterns, making basic custom slopers, & modifying patterns.

2 Likes

That might be the person I’m thinking of. One of the over-teaching group. However, she was definitely teaching pattern making. We’ve still got a big roll of the pattern paper (marked “class only”).

2 Likes

Paul, what are “slopers” (or did your computer’s autocorrupt do you wrong)?

1 Like

A sloper is the item you make to guarantee your fit. For women, it’s usually that fitted 60’s dress – top fitted bodice with long sleeves and a fitted skirt. Guys don’t really have a particular sloper pattern. You’d fit pants, or suit jacket, or shirt. Actually, shirts don’t have a close enough fit to need a sloper. Or so I think…

4 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I thought I’d make it out to take part in the Serger series today, but I ended up doing something else.

I’ll set up a few patterns classes coming up soon! I can start those within a two or 3 weeks, but I’ll keep everyone in the loop on when those start!

I’m not the best pattern maker, but I have an entire book and we can pull out a few patterns that we want to learn!

Thanks everyone, and I hope to meet y’all over the next few weeks/months!

3 Likes

Suggestion: doing a couple of classes on taking measurements and how to read a pattern first before any creating patterns from scratch classes?

3 Likes

I don’t know – making a pattern is rather separate from deciphering commercial patterns. I don’t think anybody was offering any “how to read a pattern” when the last person was teaching how to make patterns. But taking your measurements is pretty integral to any pattern considerations.

Are you taking your draping class credit or continuing ed? If contin ed, is your teacher Solomon? He is so nice and is brilliant! Have you met Mary Ann? I hope she is still teaching in the fashion depart.

We are so lucky to have the fashion design depart at El Centro!

1 Like

I’m doing class credit! I’m taking this draping class with a new professor: Blady Duran. He seems cool, more focused on being creative than the technical side of things, and I certainly appreciate that.

I had Ms. Mary Ann for my first semester! She’s sweet and always stops me in the hallway whenever we cross paths :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I would find a “how to read a commercial pattern” to be very helpful - I’ve wanted to get more involved in sewing for a long time but a large part of the reason I haven’t is because I find patterns intimidating. I usually just make things up as I go along, which is great for pillow covers…less so for clothing I actually hope to be able to wear.

1 Like

Definitely doable! I have several McCall patterns that we can look at, and a very thorough book that teaches how to create patterns. We can do both: transferring body measurements to patterns, and reading existing patterns.

A good place to start IMO (because that’s how I started, haha!) is to start by draping on a mannequin and create a pattern from there. Then you can learn how to manipulate the basic bodice and skirt patterns into all the different types of things!

I agree with you, starting with reading commercial patterns will be good! Then we can quickly transition into creating your own patterns! I promise you they’re not as intimidating as they look :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only sewing I’ve ever done is hand stitching patches onto a jacket. I would love to learn how to make box cushions for some of the furniture I make. Don’t know if it is a bit advanced for a newbie, but definitely interested in learning more about sewing!

1 Like

Definitely take Charles’ class. If you can’t get to that, look at the “Sewing for Dummies” patterns. Unlike many regular patterns, they’re written in plain English. There was another pattern I’d gotten for the apron class that was also written in plain English, but I don’t remember the name of that line. Possibly the “Sew and Go” patterns that are in a rack.

Still, it will be beneficial to learn draping. Unless you’re going for very unconstructed garments, you’ll want to be able to fit the pattern to you.

And I’ll look for my apron patterns when I get home.

1 Like

Box cushions don’t strike me as dreadfully difficult. Let me do some research on closing options…

2 Likes