ICS Feed for Event Cal

Would it be difficult to add an ICS feed to the main page of the Events Calendar?
With an ICS feed, a user can import the DMS cal as their own Google or iCal, which would help dms members stay up to date on classes offered.

I know individual classes can be added to a calendar, but I am targeting a way to engage users, not just remind users of single events.

I am unsure of how difficult it would be to add an ics feed, I know we have RSS and ATOM, neither imports gracefully to a calendaring solution.

The Calendar exports to Discord when events are approved, FWIW.

I have a change staged for the next calendar release which should allow for exporting the whole calendar (within the last seven days on as from the points that the calendar software checks) as an ICS link.

It still needs to go through some testing, but hopefully will be out this month.

2 Likes

Wow! Awesome!
I’m happy to be the 'average user’s tester, lol.

Well apparently I need to learn to read the code we already have before starting a new feature…
Turns out we have actually had this functionality for a long time… As in the last 5 years, its just not been linked anywhere so it seems I didn’t know. It could use a little love, so I’ll look at cleaning it up - but in the meantime, you can add the dynamic ICS url: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/feed/vcal , which will list all the events in the proper ICS format for online calendars and modern apps to read.

For those who haven’t done this before, for google calendar you (on a computer is easiest), go to google calendar, click the settings icon, then under ‘Add a calendar’, choose ‘By URL’ and paste the above link in.

2 Likes

I’d be at the ‘google + cry’ if i were trying to do this on the back end. I appreciate it so much!

Outstanding!