I plan on shooting some scenes for an upcoming CNBC tv show at DMS on April 20th

Fellow Makers,

I have CC’d the PR committee to be sure everybody is aware of what expect during the shoot. I think this will be an awesome promotional opportunity for DMS.

The video shoot will take place in the evening on Monday and will feature me and my kids using the laser cutter. A second shoot will take place shortly afterwards and will feature me and kids utilizing a 3D printer.

The intent of the video segment is to document me and my kids working together on projects and will serve as “B roll” in the episode.

An idea of what to expect, if your at the space, during the shoot is as follows. Approx. 10-12 crew members, with lighting, cameras, sound equipment, etc. The show is seeking real and raw footage. Other than the filming, it should be business as usual at the space during the shoot. The entire video shoot should last approx 2 hours. Full member privacy will be respected. Nobody or no project will be featured that does not want to be. Release forms will have to be filled out by anybody that makes it on camera. Otherwise, you will be blurred or deleted from the scene.

I hope this doesn’t cause anybody too much grief or inconvenience during he shoot, but I feel it will be excellent PR / exposure for DMS. I also feel it would be great to add DMS signage / logos to the machines.

Feel free to contact me if anybody has any questions or concerns.

Travis Zinger
[email protected]

7 Likes

Sounds cool, will be great to see it when it’s all done.

2 Likes

Is it a show that we might recognize? Can you tell us what it is?

Shark Tank? :slight_smile:

Kewl Stuff, Travis (@Travis_Zinger)!!!

Perhaps I can sweet talk Pearce (@PearceDunlap) into making some nice Dallas Makerspace (words and/or logo) stickers for each of the 3D Printers? :wink: :slight_smile:

There is already a large sticker on the Laser. If you or William (@william_petefish) would like it refreshed or anything, I’m sure that can be done, too! :smile:

Please let William and I know the approx time frame that you will be need to have the Laser and one 3D Printer to be available, so we can make sure to let other members know they are reserved for this project. You can reply here and/or via PM - whichever you feel is best.

Thanks!
Lisa
:smile:

1 Like

We may have all the parts in for the lasersaur… So, it may even be
assembled.

Let us know what all is needed.

1 Like

@Jeremy The show is called Make Me A Millionaire Inventor. They have basically taken the European version and brought it to America. You can see old episodes on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3wFleP7xj8
It does have a Shark Tank type element to it.

@LisaSelk Anything we can to do add some signage will be awesome. Even just a tent card printed out and sat next to the Printer will be fine. I agree that the vinyl graphic would be ideal. @william_petefish I believe the laser cutter graphic is good as is.

The time frame for the shoot is going to be in the evening on Monday the 20th. There really is no exact window for filming, they are keeping it pretty loose. Just evening time is all they have committed to.

UPDATE…I met with the Show Producers briefly at the space yesterday to scout out the facility and give them a tour of what to expect. Of course they fell in love with the place and want to do video shoots all over the place. But there is only so much time available so it will be confined to a few shots of the laser, a few shots of the 3D printers and some of the Vinyl cutter. Also there will be some B-roll of us spray painting in the paint booth. They asked that we reserve some time around 4:30 to 5:30 to use these machines and spaces tomorrow. If we can somehow reserve these, that would be awesome. The plan is to kind block of an area for 15 -20 minutes to have absolute control over what is being shot and reduce background noise. I explained that we will do our best to leave them alone and let them shoot as it will be great PR for DMS. Everybodies support is awesome and most excellent…THX

1 Like

Hi Travis (@Travis_Zinger)…

In 3D Fab, Far Righty will be reserved for you from 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM. I’m not going to block off time for the other printers, as it would probably be neat to have ‘other’ prints running while y’all are in there… Please feel free to ask members to leave the room for the few minutes that y’all are actually filming. Point to this post, if needed. :smile:

The Laser will also be reserved from 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM. We can’t really block off the entire workshop easily; however, in the spirit of being Excellent, I would like to encourage members to give y’all plenty of space and a few minutes of less loud work (some background noise probably would not be a bad thing, so you could hear “shop sounds” in the background; but, obviously, it would be most Excellent if members could hold off on using the super loud tools for the few minutes y’all will actually be filming).

Thanks n Have Fun!
(I would say, “Break a Leg!”; but, yeah… Please don’t! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

2 Likes

Lisa, That sounds great, thx for your help on this.

1 Like

ATTN ALL…

There has been a slight delay. The reservations for all the resources reserved for the film crew today will be extended until 6:30 PM.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!
:slight_smile:

And…It’s a wrap!!!

I want to thank everybody for their help on this. It’s such a wonderful opportunity for me to be part of this show and DMS is going to play a big part in my success at the end. More to come…

The production company really loved the Makerspace and wanted to shoot every committee, but just simply ran out of time. We were already extended into OT hours on the shoot, so we had to hustle when we got there. Special thx to my fellow Makers that helped during the shoot. Our DMS members were really being excellent in front of the camera and behind the scenes.

3 Likes

So some of you might remember back in April I had a film crew onsite at DMS to do some shooting for a TV show. Well finally that show premiers in 2 days. Wednesdays (starting 8/12) on CNBC at 10PM PT.

It is the first episode of a 6 part series. Please check it out, it’s pretty cool to see the entire invention process play out.

Episode 4 ( Sept 2) is my episode where I debut my 3D Cake Decorator. Anybody involved during the DMS scenes will be on TV on that episode. I will post again as that episode gets closer.

For now here is a sneak peak.
http://www.cnbcprime.com/millionaire-inventor/

3 Likes