I owe automotive…

In the middle of the night (about 4 A.M.) my spark plug socket absolutely wouldn’t come out of the approx 4” tube it sits in: my extensions simply pulled away without pulling the socket out. The first 5 did but #6 wouldn’t.

With no room for needle-nose pliers, I resorted to hacking an extractor by grinding the tip off the cheapest-looking pick I could find so it would pass through the 3/8” opening in the socket to yank it out. After fabbing that it literally took less time to get the socket out than it took me to lean over the engine to stick it down the hole.

Best guess is that it’s about a $3 tool (“General” brand) I’m happy replace it with a complete set of picks (reasonably priced) because grinding it down saved my butt.

Sam let me know what you want me to do.

5 Likes

@sixshot357

I hope the solution isn’t six shots out of a .357…

1 Like

It’s Sam’s call but these are my favorite if you want to project your pick penance via prime.

1 Like

That looks suspiciously like a Machine Shop scribe
:thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know, I’m glad you were able to make it work!

I’ve ordered a replacement, should be here in a few days. They aren’t expensive in the slightest so I wouldn’t feel too penanced about it. Picks are a tool that gets beat on/damaged all the time so it really isn’t the end of the world.

I had the same problem when I was changing spark plugs bout a month ago. I recommend the space pick up a set of these locking extensions.

Craftsman Locking Extensions

1 Like

At home I try to always use either spark plug sockets with built in extensions, or locking extensions any time I am working on a overhead cam engine. Otherwise it can be a test of will between the spark plug holding rubber insert and the spring ball detent holding the extension.

2 Likes

Better plug sockets to use don’t have a rubber insert to get stuck on the plug, and a locking extension isn’t needed. “Better” made spark plug sockets have a built in magnet to hold the plug in place for removal and installation.

1 Like

Looks like this scribe:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-380A-Three-Scriber/dp/B00004T7RV/

1 Like