I need some custom shelving units, please

A Lot of folk on DMS know me.at DMS, @zacharymarkson has done some excellent work adding a ramp and enlarging my bathroom door. He does excellent work but I suspect he is swamped. I need some custom shelves. I have drawn them up, before my stroke I had made plans for something similar. The stroke but a kibosh on that plan. Now I finally have full access to my garage again I find I still need them more than ever. However I am still hiding from the virus and unable to come to the space. I put up a generalized drawing of the plans in hopes someone might help me.

I will pay for all the material and labor an will give this mechanics toolbox with a fair amount of tools included to whomever is willing to help me. I also have an old microwave cart I’ll be tossing away that is also up for grabs.

I will need 4 of these, building the in no way obligated the kind person whom makes to build more unless they want too. They don’t have to be pretty, but do need to be sturdy and painted for durability. Since they will be stacked some king of interlocking mechanism is needed (pegs in matching holes come to mind) because I will be sliding the boxes out of these cubby holes. I only have one working hand don’tcha know…
Just PM me if you are interested.

Banker Box.zip (8.2 KB)

1 Like

@Wendy, I’d be happy to knock these out on the Multicam for you. No need for payment if you can cover the cost of plywood. I’m betting even 1/2" plywood would be plenty strong for this application and for ease of cutting, the decent “sande” stuff from home depot (or birch from Central, depending on cost) would be my strong preference. They need a back to keep them from racking. That can be 1/4 or even 1/8".

How about interlocking transverse cleats on the tops and bottoms?

Do you also need some sort of lower box/stand to raise the bottom-most unit to a workable height for you?

4 Likes

Every Day I go into the garage and look through boxes. So far so good! Exciting even!

@mdredmond I haven’t heard from you in over a month. If I get the ply wood, would someone cut the pieces for me? With the material I can assemble them myself.

I have your stuff drawn out in solidworks. There is wood at DMS that Ian agreed to sell me. I just need to get down there to cut.

I’ve been dealing with a lot of stuff. My wife had cancer surgery, I have vaccine issues, my SUV is down, etc. I’ve just got a mess going.

If someone else can do the CNC then it might happen faster. I can share the design files.

3 Likes

Thanks, sorry to hear about the other crap. Lost a well liked cousin (I only see him about once a decade) to Covid this weekend. Life can be hard with some of the stuff we have to deal with sometimes. This isolation I have to go through is increasing my self reliance quite a bit if I had the parts I would build it myself. The end is in sight, I’l;be one of the last ones to get vaccinated looks like.

Well, new month in a new year. I really d o need those shelves. I really, really don’t want to step on your toes. I am going to start building them myself. In less than 2 weeks I get my first vaccination.

Wendy, I am free this weekend to build your shelves. Please text or PM me if you haven’t found anyone yet. Sorry that I’m just now seeing this thread!

Thank.you. You still have my phone number?

I priced a sheet of 3/4" x 4’ x 8’ pressure treated plywood from Home Depot at $55.00 after tax. Plugging the 3/4" thickness into my drawing I now get this…

I can pay for the plywood if someone can build this. Ultimately I will need 4 of these I guestimate one board will make 3 shelf units

You need to double check. But I was told Pressure treated plywood wasn’t allowed to be cut in the wood shop… but I could cut it outside I saw horses…

Another gentleman has stepped forward (I just gave him a toolbox) so I’ll go with that ATM.

1 Like

This thread is officially closed

1 Like