I have... questions. (Wacky laser product)

How much power, how do you focus, what software, etc…

At $20 I’m seriously considering getting one just to see.

$13 for a burning laser, that and burning from what looks to be about 1 foot? Our lasers are 200 watts and need to be a few millimeters from the surface.

I’d classify this one as bogus…

1 Like

But if you wanted to give a piece of wood or paper or leather a mild sunburn without going outside, this might be exactly what you needed.

2 Likes

If you believe the videos, it looks kinda like what you get from a fiber laser in terms of scanning speed and distances. That said, considering how much Photoshop work has been done in the photos (no USB wires or power cords) I don’t trust much of anything. Also kinda weird that there is no link anywhere for download software or support.

I realize this is 99% a fake/crappy product. But for the $20 I’m leaning towards taking a shot just for teh LOLZ.

2 Likes

It doesn’t take much power to burn the surface of wood like the reviews show. It’s entirely possible. I would expect it to take a while and look worse than anything you’d get from a machine at the space. Beware the possibility of eye damage. It’s not enclosed like the lasers at the space. Even though the lasers at the space have glass which we can see through, the laser wavelength doesn’t go through the glass (which is why the lenses aren’t made of glass).

1 Like

I’m fully aware of the hazards. If I get one (and by some miracle it actually worked) it’d be put into some kind of stand/enclosure to prevent the reflection dangers.

After looking into it a bit more I wouldn’t buy it. It’s almost certainly a scam. It’s a real product that does work and there are lots of neat videos out there. Except it’s $200 to $300. Research the seller. Do they have a physical address, any reviews, how long has it been around, etc.

1 Like

Laserpecker? https://www.laserpecker.net/L1-The-Most-Useful-Mini-Handheld-Laser-Engraver-p147999.html

Yes, that’s what I was looking at a few minutes ago. The images are taken from pages of that product. The website you linked to originally is a scam.

1 Like

I’m impressed y’all could find your way to the original product. Although that’s a really unfortunate choice for a product name…

In any case, I was trying to google-fu my way backwards to that yesterday, because I wanted to send a link to @michaelb. My guess was that it was kind of a slightly improved version of magnifying glasses cooking ants on the sidewalk.

A similar thing that popped up in my facebook feed was a new type of facemask that is clear (like an oxygen mask) and has a version with a small fan included. The ad was for cheap product. The real thing is a current indiegogo that is NOT cheap. But promising.

2 Likes

The BROAD AirPro Mask? Saw that myself, thinking of hacking one together on my own using a Noctua fan, battery pack, MERV13 AC filter, etc

1 Like

This is a handy tool for rooting out bullshit.

https://tineye.com/

3 Likes

Came here to confirm this. I will say these seems to be an increasing scam lately. One site I found out about was mirroring a lot of Wayfairs products, but for 50+% off the original price. I looked it up and no one ever got their product but their cards got charged. My guess is the site disappears in about a month once people start getting wise.

2 Likes

I get the same sort of feeds on FB about great deals on Lego kits. I can personally confirm these are a scam too, although I did get my money back from my card so not sure what the point was. Possibly wait a year then use the card details?