Hydraulic Press

Multi scale gauges are available.

Seems like a chart taped next to the gauge would work with a big red piece of tape at 8,500 psi or so that states, do not exceed this lineā€¦

Yes, I realize that max should be 10,000 psi; but I figured a bit of safety margin may have save the list cylinder when two ā€˜experiencedā€™ Makers where trying to smash a penny at max pressureā€¦

In my mind, the Automotive purposes for which that press was intended have few cases where it takes over 40 tons of pressure to press out a bearing. I see no reason not to derate the press slightly in hopes that we prevent another blowout at max pressure.

Does anyone see a reason not to try this pressure gauge with the caveat that we install a pressure/ tonnage chart and mark ā€˜Max Pressureā€™ in red ink on the gaugeā€¦

I was using the press the other day and saw that someone managed to indent into the surface of our nice, non-chinesium press plates.

This is ridiculous. Wonder when it happened.

Maybe trying to press some clam chowder

This dial looks like itā€™s a better fit for usā€¦

Front mounted, and from a company Iā€™ve used before, and reasonably pricedā€¦

Itā€™s 2.5" wide, but Iā€™m concerned that the fitting will align with the rear hole.

I will take a look this evening when Iā€™m at the space.

http://parkerstore.com.my/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=12&products_id=192

Anyone else know of a better fitting gauge?

we can fabricate a mount if required; we did for the ram. If we can make it fit the original spot all good, but I wouldnā€™t be worried about appearances if itā€™s a provider that has known good results.

-Jim

Has anyone called the number in the manual to check on the ā€˜OEMā€™ part?

800-222-5381

Part TY400001-02a (pressure gauge) Number 57 from the diagram in Ownerā€™s Manual

No need to fab something up if we donā€™t have to, not to mention we have plenty of other projects if members just need something to do.

Some members treat equipment well no matter what, but others tend to treat ā€˜niceā€™ equipment better than equipment that looks like itā€™s straight from Doc Brownā€™s garage.

Iā€™m at work right now, in a cubicle; but I would encourage anyone else to make the callā€¦

Thank you all for the support and advice. I shot this using another press without any issues. Link to the video listed below.

Thanks again,

• Cody Eastwood
4 Likes

Cool video.
Love the concept.
Seems like nothing became an uncontrolled dangerous projectile too. :slight_smile:

1 Like