How's the Shapeoko coming?

weekends certainly work. For me personally, only Thurs - Sunday works since I’m in school on Mon-Weds So - the 30th would be perfect…
-nick

Anytime for me works

As a constructive suggestion … pick a time, go to the Events Calendar, and try to add your event (big red box, upper RH corner). There may be events in the pipeline that do not yet show up on the calendar (because, remember, they are added by a nice volunteer). The calendar app is smart enough to know if someone else has already requested the use of the CA room (or whatever room you desire) and it won’t let you schedule your class at the same time.

After you successfully request to add your event, then you could publicize the time.

This saves you the nuisance of negotiating a time with some folks and then finding out that the room isn’t available.

Appreciate the suggestions. I’ve submitted July 30 @ 13:00 - 14:00 in the CA room. See you there :slight_smile:

1 Like

sounds good. I plan to attend.

It’s on the calendar and meetup now.

1 Like

the training for the Shapeoko scheduled for July30 seems to have fallen off the calendar. Is that still on?

Most items were not moved to the new calendar. They will appear on the new calendar only if the instructor moves them.

Per @AlexRhodes, by August 14 all instructors must have moved their classes to the new calendar but in the meantime we are apparently using both calendars.

What should I buy to make the shapeoko totally outfitted? I know we mentioned a few sets of bits for the machine. Point me at them and I will purchase them. If you can find them online it’s best (even if it’s a bit more expensive because time is money).
I’m excited to get this rolling. It’s been a labor of love for you guys and it demonstrated that even someone willfully ripping it apart can’t trump peoples efforts to see an idea to fruition.

2 Likes

Check with Machine Shop to see whether they have any mills from Fred’s that would be suitable and they can let us have.

Yes it is still on for this Saturday at 1pm in CA

1 Like

My plan is to have the class, see what people are into, go source some end mills and submit a receipt. We have quite a few single flute general purpose suitable for wood and to get people running some practice jobs to tied them over for a few days.

I will check with machine shop but everything I saw at Freds was way too big for Shapeoko.

1 Like

I know we are still testing this but would it be a problem if I use the shapeoko for carbon fiber plates? I know I need to take it outside and use special ventilation and my own bits, but it seems to be the best option at the space for small carbon fiber cutting.

I think that would need to be discussed with the CA committee, they own the machine now :slight_smile:

Thoughts: Doesn’t carbon fiber milling create a lot of fine particles that are extremely durable and abrasive? I’m not qualified to judge but I will suggest that, at a minimum, some kind of dust extraction upgrade would be required to minimize how much of that gets into the spindle, etc. Perhaps someone with experience can comment further.

1 Like

Do we have to sign up for the class or is it open to all? I just joined DMS so this all new to me TIA.

@rjnoah welcome to the Makerspace!

there is a meetup registration, but it is full at 12+ people. It will be kind of crowded. There will be a lot of buzz and talk about, so I suggest joining the group after, like at 2pm for a demo. We will also discuss more classes and getting people involved.

I’ve submitted a 2nd class for Wednesday, Aug 24th at 7:00 PM. Should appear on the calendar in a few days.

3 Likes

It’s there but there’s an issue with the DMS event calendar. I’ve submitted a ticket.

On a positive note the end mill order came in and I’ll try and get those up to the space Thursday, Friday at the latest.

2 Likes

Which bits did we get?

1 Like

Plus a diamond drag bit

3 Likes