How's the Shapeoko coming?

sweet!

@Tapper has been doing great things with the drag bit for the Multicam (like glass and brass etchings). Thanks for getting one for the Shapeoko too.

Drag bits are awesome tools. Highly recommend the spring loaded version though, especially for glass. Youā€™ll dig it. Weā€™ll be unleashing this on the big CNC router this month.

Doing outlines is pretty easy with a diamond drag bit. Vcarve Pro has a easy to use Engrave Path feature which will also do a fill with either a line offset or cross-hatch. Thatā€™s how I did this lighter:

3 Likes

I was sitting with Nicole ordering items and someone suggested it and provided a link. I donā€™t know anything about them really, would like to learn at some point. I donā€™t know if the one we purchased is spring loaded or not.

Very cool.

1 Like

I put 1 each of the end mills out; for now they are in rolled up bubble wrap, in a box labeled fragile, in the black case. I also put in a few more threaded inserts for work holding. Please keep the individual bits in their cases; they are very sharp and we want to keep them that way :slight_smile:

Go make something!

1 Like

Iā€™m planning my first attempt and Iā€™m working on the ā€œholdingā€ portion. Roughly how many threaded inserts are there, and roughly where are they?

Iā€™m going to have to flip my part over, so I need a fixture to hold my work piece, and holding is particularly critical.

Thanks!

Iā€™m going to get a mid-sized toolbox for the shapeoko next time I get to the store.
I very much want to learn this tool!

1 Like

Roughly 8 in a flat diamond pattern starting around 110 cm from the front + the t-slot rails on each side.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the size of the work area?

About a foot square with a few inches of Z height. You can follow the wiki links for more detail or Google for more detail.

I personally think this bit holder looks useful - although it only holds 1/8" bits.

We have a mix of quality and mills now and these come in individual protective cases. We can make a better holder at some point with the machine itself!

Jay - is your class presentation on the wiki somewhere?

Also, Iā€™m trying to set up the Easel driver on my computer. It has no defaults for these questions:

Rail size: (500x500 or 1000x1000)
Lead Screw: (ACME or M8 threaded rod)
Spindle: (Dewalt 611, Dewalt 660, Bosch Colt, 24VDC Spindle, or Other)

I can probably guess on the first two, but I have no idea for the third option (spindle). Thanks!

500x500, threaded rod, DC spindle, manual spindle control. Presentation is on the committee drive.

1 Like

Folks, I had to cancel the class on the 24th, my work has me traveling that day now. Iā€™m very sorry, I have little control over that sort of thing :frowning:

Iā€™m going to do two things: Schedule 2 more classes (updates later today) and work on getting some instructor coverage so itā€™s not just single threaded on me.

Edit: Iā€™m having trouble creating classes in the system; working on it. For now was thinking a class Sunday late afternoon or evening on the 21st and a weekday evening class past that when I can find space in CA and will be in town.

1 Like

FWIW, Monday evenings are completely dead at Makerspace. Most Mondays there are zero classes scheduled.

Also, on an unrelated note, I set a cheap paintbrush into the enclosure - to be used for dusting the mechanism. Itā€™s tough to get the dust off the motor intake, for instance, using just the vacuum cleaner.

1 Like

I saw it working last night. :slight_smile:

Pretty slick - but there seemed to only be 1/8" bits in the little plastic box under it. Might be too big for what you need.

There is a bubble-wrapped package with some small bits in the black tub - one 1/32" bit and one 1/16" bit (both of which I used over the weekend).

Of course, I probably shouldnā€™t advertise that ā€¦ Iā€™m sure they are easy to break. :slight_smile:

There are also two V-carve bits (one 60 degrees and one 90 degrees) plus a diamond drag bit.

Speaking of little bits leftā€¦in fiber class tonight we cleared and rearranged top of cabinet and someone had left this weird little package (scrap of cloth held together with blue tape) containing a pair of small hinges and the screws. Dave suggested laying it over under the cabinet for you to look at and see if it was useful. If not, move it onward.

If you really have no use for it, lay in fiber cabinet because Iā€™m having an ideaā€¦

A toolbox, calipers, and all make and manner of bits are on its way. i love what Iā€™ve seen come from it and Iā€™m so thankful weā€™ve had so many people dedicated to see this project to the finish line. Thank you guys!

Side note:
Beware all that wood around it will find another home so if itā€™s yours please make it home. If itā€™s for instructional purposes we need to discuss a better way to place items. I couldnā€™t easily maneuver around the fiber classes so it got a one day reprieve.
Peace.
Love.
Spring Clean.