How would you fake sisal rope?

I realize rope is pretty cheap but this is for a prop and hopefully it can be made by student volunteers. I need large scale (and quantity) nautical/sisal rope - made for a one night special needs dance. The effect should be large, the cost should be small and or close to free. This is for a stage needs.

I’ve tried twisting up craft paper. I’ve tried twisting up brown cheap paper towels. The effects are both “ok”. I would like to see what other people come up with because what I’m coming up with just isn’t great.

Like this but massive
92f8ceefb50e2898cfa0ae0847db3855

I would say braid brown yarn from the clearance rack or one of the 40-70% off coupons from the big craft stores.

Rope clotheslines are hard to find these days, but you could paint it brown if you find some.

Harbor Freight has rope, but you’ll probably need to paint it brown.

Raffia from Dollar Tree braided together is another option.

Good luck!

1 Like

I’m just wondering if any of these options are cheaper than just buying sisal rope… If the big size is too pricey, maybe twist some of the smaller sizes?

3 Likes

Harbor Freight has 1/2"x50ft sisal rope for $5, probably worth looking into.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-x-50-ft-sisal-rope-91912.html

6 Likes

When you say the effect should be ‘large’ what do you mean by that? 1/2"? 2"? 10"?

1 Like

How large and how much do you need?

This might sound weird but throwing it out there because you never know who has access to what…

They use really large rope in the oil fields. The men on my mom’s side used to work the oil fields and my papa used to bring us new rope for our tree swing periodically. That stuff was huge, like usually 2-3”. He’d bring us new or barely used and we hung it in a huge oak tree we had on our property. We’d swing from a branch from the nearby tree with it (think Tarzan style, including kid-yodels). Spent a lot of summers climbing and swinging from those trees. That and playing in the woods. Good times.

Anyway, ya never know…

2 Likes

Do have access to a lot of burlap-like string? I remember a camp fire outing at camp Ellowi when I was in middle school, with classes taught by Boy Scouts. One was ripe-making

To me, the defining characteristics of this sort of rope are:

• the color
  • the size
  • the lumpiness of a laid rope

Twisting one piece of craft paper gets you the first two. To get the last, you’d need to twist up three pieces of paper to the appropriate length (plus 10-15%), bundle the ends together and then twist the three twists together to make the characteristic “laid rope” lumpiness.

I made a rope machine way back in high school and keeping the twists even and fairly tight is key to a good looking finished product. Given the scale and materials, it will likely take 2-3 people to accomplish. Locking one end in a vise to hold it while you spiral the three pieces around would help.

2 Likes

I’m thinking (as of this minute) the rope diameter is going to be around 2-3" and for some areas about 5" in diameter (this will be hung) . I found some at Home Depot that was .63 a foot but that will quickly add up for this dance as I will need probably 1000 ft for what I’m wanting to do (it always comes down to the budget). The “realism” needs to be moderately convincing - because of what it’s used for and because 90% of it will be trash by the end of the night.

The formal design approval hasn’t happened yet - so things might change.
Great ideas everyone! Thank you

If you google “medieval rope making” there are lots of images of what @HankCowdog is describing. And videos on YouTube.

2 Likes

You’ve always been a badass in my book. You, sir, are made of magic!

1 Like

Some kinda “sock” made of “rope colored” cloth (or burlap) and painted trompe l-oeil style might be economical. Realism would depend on how far the audience is. You could enlist some art students for in the painting :smiley: .

2 Likes

Panty hose maybe?

1 Like

When is said dance and does it need a rotating disco ball again?

1 Like

This time of year, browse the stores carrying Halloween stuff. If you can wait that long, do not plan to buy until November 1.

2 Likes

Ok, I just got a visual of Disco Pirates…

3 Likes

YASSSSSSS Please and thank you and everything between

That actually might be the perfect thing! I’ll do some experimentation

You say “Disco Pirates” like it’s a bad thing.

4 Likes