How to schedule a tour for a large group?

@team_pr @artg_dms @dougemes @richmeyer @yehuda613

John Di Filippo, the president of Richardson Wireless Klub has asked for info on scheduling a tour of DMS. It is early in the process and he is checking with membership to determine the best time. Could it be, for example, Saturday afternoon if that is desired.

RWK has experienced a lot of growth in recent years with almost 300 members and is now the third largest amateur radio club in Texas. The maker movement in rich among hams and I am surprised that there is so little cross pollination. Last week RWK announced that I would present an enhanced version of one of my DMS classes in Richardson and it filled in a few hours. But these folks did now want to just use my parts in class as normally happens. They have submitted an order and everyone will buy parts and carry a customized atomic clock home.

On a related subject, I recently conducted two 5 hour Lecture N Lab Build sessions for Dallas Amateur Radio Club where they purchased parts and built projects including Solar Powered WiFi Weather Stations. These were based on my modified DMS classes that I have since brought back to DMS. I am actively planing future such events with both clubs.

I would like our tour guides to show them what we have to offer.

Brady Pamplin W5LH

Edit: Note that the clock project is featured on the home page if you scroll down.
http://www.k5rwk.org/home/

4 Likes

I would be happy to facilitate a tour outside the normal Thursday evenings. I am free most weekends. Just keep me in the loop.

2 Likes

I know of a guy by that name. Brady, Do you know him by chance?

1 Like

Yes I know him and work with him on these activities. Check out his mug shot in the President’s Corner article.

https://nextcloud.qloudit.com:1443/s/QoyqrLjTStc8CRA#pdfviewer

In case anyone thinks Chawed Rag is a strange/unusual/gross name for a newsletter, “rag chewing” is an old time term for hams having a long QSO (conversation) on the air.

@apparently_weird That was easy! Thanks for the quick response. I’ll let you know as their planning progresses.

I greatly appreciate the way @Team_PR has upgraded tour quality in the last year or so with good info about every committee area.

I give occasional on-demand tours, like to a couple knocking on the door yesterday. You get to see the equipment on my tours but it is infamous for comments like, “Over in the corner there, they make ceramics and throw clay.” I encouraged them to come back for an official tour.

Thank you. Moving forward PR and Member services are looking at multiple ways to enhance the tour experience.