How to pull HDMI cable through 1" flexible plastic conduit?

I’m trying to pull an HDMI cable through 1" wide flexible low voltage conduit for my parents. Unfortunately, the existing pull-string broke (it was way too weak), now I’ve got conduit running through the wall, but nothing to pull the cable through.

To complicate matters, the conduit makes four or five 90 degree turns, as it runs up one wall, across the ceiling and down another wall. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can get another pull-string through the conduit and get the HDMI cable run?

use a shop vac to BLOW a new pull string down the conduit. You can tape the pull string to a plastic bead or something to provide more resistance and help push the string through the conduit.

We used 3/4" foam balls and a shop vac to suck the string through.

Step 1. Head to the petshop; get one Mouse
Step 2. Tie string to said mouse
Step 3. Put cheese on the other end of the tunnel.
Step 4. Use string to pull a large rope
Step 5. Use rope to pull cable
Step 6. Release mouse outside for a job well done!

2 Likes

Fish Tape

I’d recommend trying this stuff, it’s made for exactly this. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. It’s stiff enough that you can simply push it through the conduit, but flexible enough to go around corners.

1 Like

Good luck getting past all of those 90 degree turns. It helps if you wrap tape around the connector to smooth out anything that will catch on the inside of the conduit.

That ribbed conduit will make both the pull string and the cable more “fun”

But a tuft of plastic bag on the end of a pull string and a shop vac should work well. I use it on 100+ foot runs of grey 1 inch conduit from time to time. Usually the biggest challenge is a natural tendency to try to make the tuft too big, which makes the process tougher. Sometimes I’ll skip the pull cord, and just put the cable end in the corner of a plastic bag. Cable tie it on about inch lower, fold the bag inside out, so it is hanging past the cord end, and trim just past the cord end. This works well in smooth conduit, but I don’t know if it stands a chance on corrugated wall like that.

very flexible glass fibre fish tape

1 Like

i should clarify on the fish tape use:

1. Push only the fish tape through first, until it pokes out the other end.
  2. Tape the HDMI cable end to the end of the fish tape. Tape over the sharp corners of the connector, so it will smoothly pass through the conduit.
  3. Pull the fish tape back through. If you feel it getting stuck somewhere, don’t just pull with all your strength, but wiggle the hell out of it until it gets unstuck.

If that won’t work, use the fish tape to pull a string through first. Then, use the string to pull the HDMI cable through.

1 Like

ALWAYS pull a new string whenever you pull a wire…the next person to run a cable in that conduit (usually YOU), will thank you! :smile: