HOW TO MAKE DIY CASSETTE TAPES PT. 1: Why Tapes? | 424recording.com

No photo description available.

Anyone remember these gems? Well I’ve been getting back into building a collection of DAT tapes using the KCS and to use it for bootstrapping an 8086 toshiba laptop with procomm (or a few gwbasic programs) since its only got a 720k floppy with a proprietary controller then later releasing a few runs as an audio zine.

To do this I’ve been working on connecting a db9 serial to 3.5" audio cable to work like a null modem with the data source being KCS encoded cassettes. However with a limited supply of “New” old stock around and in the spirit of DIY, Here’s a video series on how to create one’s own cassette tapes.

Now way the old Cassette? Their way better than you remember.

Why KSC… well data on audio tapes that also can be broadcast via RF or POTS.

2 Likes

Not fondly, esp. for computer data, but yes. :smiley:
The last few years, tapes have claimed some pretty record sales (see what I did there?):

125% in 2018.

4 Likes

I have a case and a half of C60 white cassettes - blank.

If ya need some, PM me with a simple trade. I like old IC chips and vintage computing/gaming kit.

3 Likes

I’m planning a run of 128 for the audio zine. But might hit you up later for a few blanks though.

Also reminds me; would you know anyone that has a spare CCR-81 compatible connection cable or even a power supply for a Toshiba T1200?

Screen printing meets Cassette tapes

J Card design