How to learn NI labview

So there was labview 2014 and certain things like sigilent 1202 x-e have connections to NI labview. If one is looking to gain experience to be hired or to have experience to better their employment, How should on go about studying NI labview? There are certifications for labview, (Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD) - National Instruments) and there are colleges, then there is IEEE and they have certain course for members (Certified LabVIEW Training session (1st week) : vTools Events). I would note that I have little money between jobs. I have just spent much of my money on jstd001 cit.

Are you seeing a demand for Labview?
You might want focus your resources on learning Python applied to controlling lab bench gear. Most of today’s bench gear from hobby grade to high end test gear can be programmed / controlled by python. Also python is far more generic than labview - ie can be used for many more applications. There are many free resources, books, how to use / apply, etc. out there. Labview is a niche product. Expensive to license and as your research shows - expensive to learn.

Any one else care to comment?

Yes i have seen a number of jobs from time to time with labview as requirement. I am hazy on what if any path to take to get trained on labview. I suspect it would take alot of money and alot of time.

Check out the metal cabinets in the DMS Electronics Lab. A couple of years ago I donated several books on LabView, they should still be in the cabinet.

2 Likes

They are indeed still in the cabinet.
The cab in the corner next to wire shelves - to your left as you enter the ELab.

3 Likes

There is currently a “Community Edition” of LV 2022. It’s the full Developer version, but barred from commercial use. You’ll need an NI.com account to activate it. You will likely also need to download the NI-DaqMX drivers, especially if you’re going to work thru the CLAD prep material.

The very best way to learn LabVIEW is to take the classes offered by NI. That’ll run you about $4K.

Alternatively, frequent the forums at NI.com, especially the “Daily CLAD” area. Use the community edition to wire up the examples and test them. Same for the CLAD prep material.

The hard part of LV is learning where to find everything. Lots of icons to remember. Which gets much easier if you just practice.

I’ve been a LabVIEW developer for the last 9 years. Never got around to taking the certification tests, so I’m studying now. ( Fun with Job Searches, chapter 4… )

If there is interest, we might consider forming ( or re-forming ) an interest group and getting together to practice.

4 Likes

BTW Art, in the test and measurement world LabVIEW is very popular. Python is the niche product.

Since python is free, it is making some inroads, as well as other competitors like rust.

Python is on my list to learn, and it happens that python and LabVIEW play well together.

LabVIEW can call python routines, and now, the reverse is also true.

This is new, and I have yet to look into it.

2 Likes

Thank you I will be looking to study more with NI labview.
Is Any good siglent 1204x-e? Because i think it works with NI labview.

I was hearing we have rigols and one or two them do them do the same.

I have one of the Siglents and an arbitrary waveform generator from them as well.

Both have LabVIEW drivers, as does the Rigol it seems.

I haven’t tried any of the above yet, but I have the driver installed for the Siglents. Looks pretty straightforward.

Thanks. I do not know why did not find the ni labview drivers for rigol.

https://www.rigolna.com/download/