How to get class on schedule

What does the classroom committee need from me in order to get a class on the schedule?

I assume you have questions beyond this, but in short, create a class on the calendar.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class#Fill_out_the_.22add_event.22_page

Here’s a walkthrough of doing that

@bill would be the guy to address classroom/space concerns, but if i were he, I would like more specific questions/details (for example, are you asking if you can teach a reloading class and whether there are specific restrictions on what materials are allowed in the building?)

2 Likes

Dang @jast. You beat me to it. He’s right, that is basically all the info you need.

For the honorarium, in the past I have my presentation or agenda planned out so the committee knows what exactly will be taught. Just to make it easy on them.

2 Likes

Not worried about getting honorarium just was wondering what kind of information was needed from me in order to post a class to ensure it does not get rejected

2 Likes

I do not have a ready response. I am waiting with bated breath for Bill and/or others to weigh in, and hope to create a wiki page for “doing these things will doom your class request” or “doing these things will help ensure your class is not rejected”. Some are simple: Don’t do anything illegal or immoral, or teaching others to do things illegal or immoral. After that, I’m a bit fuzzy as well…

1 Like

That’s all I’m looking for is a “do this/don’t do this” list

2 Likes

As long as it is legal and an actual class or event, then it shouldn’t have a problem.

Things that get rejected are generally things like sales events masquerading as classes, pseudo science, political or illegal subjects.

3 Likes

Submit the class in the calendar system at least 240 hours in advance. To get honorarium, you will need to provide enough detail to convince the auditors that it is an organized class. An outline is usually sufficient.

For Hatcher’s, some special requirements: No storage of guns, powder, primers or finished ammunition. Guns must be unloaded except for what you are carrying on your person.

2 Likes

What if I’m not doing an honorarium?

1 Like

Then you only need to submit 2 days in advance and don’t do anything illegal or detrimental to DMS.

2 Likes

Will do…

2 Likes

Oh, one more thing. If your class would otherwise qualify for honorarium and you do not want to collect $50, consider passing GO anyway and giving $100 to your committee…

3 Likes

Can I do that without submitting a I9?

1 Like

W9. Yes. You only have to submit a W9 if you will be receiving the $50.

1 Like

If you do want the honorarium, it helps if you list the specific skills and techniques that you will teach (and use the words “skills” and/or “techniques”). This makes it easier to distinguish between true teaching classes vs. other more ambiguous event types.

2 Likes

Donate the honorarium if you don’t want it. Hatchet may get money that way. Lol

4 Likes

So if you don’t personally care to collect honorarium, you can show some love to a committee and donate the whole thing. As mentioned, no W9 required in that case.

Main thing is submitting at least 240 hrs ahead (with good description) AND be sure to log back in and update attendance within 24hrs (you need at least three minimum attended)

2 Likes