How to Cook a Steak

1 Like

I’m personally more of a ripping hot cast iron pan, 4 minutes, flip, 4 minutes, call it a day guy.
If I can get a 2" or thicker cut though I’ll start in the smoker at 225 until an internal temp of 130, then about 90 seconds a side on the ripping hot cast iron, and that is the best steak out there in my humble opinion (not humble).

6 Likes

The Sizzler begs to disagree with you.

I recently got a Sous Vide machine and have to say it is the easiest way to make consistently great steak. It makes great steaks even out of cheap cuts.

A quick sear on both sides to make some crust and you are good to go.

3 Likes

If I have time, I prefer to do a reverse sear: bring the steak almost up to temp (either on the cool side of a grill or in the oven) and then sear it over high heat.

However, this kills one of the great things about steak, which is that it’s basically fancy fast food. I find myself just searing it in the pan most of the time these days.

1 Like

I used to have a pony smoker made out of an old pot compressor. I would use hickory & smoke my steaks. Now I use the Weber, no lighter fluid needed either. I use the chimney starter & paper towel to get mine started. I cook them until I feel they are good.

1 Like

4 Likes

No arguing with Zack. He’s the universal expert on everything. Didn’t you get that memo ?

Zack has spoken. All hail Zack.

/sarc…

1 Like

Reverse Sear,
Cast Iron- Hottest Heat, Grape seed or Avocado Oil (High smoke point oils)
Sear & Flip w/ Butter & Herb basting

Now I’m hungry for steak!!!

1 Like

What’s your address again? (I’ll bring the butter.)

1 Like

All I have is some US 100% Wagyu NY Strips. I’ve got the butter;) (Good Irish Pasture Raised stuff)
Just no fresh garlic or herbs so I guess I will have to hold off :frowning:

Oh well tonight is Homemade Fish and Chips & Fried Shrimp. I guess I’ll live.

2 Likes

For me, Sous Vide is tasty, but the patience required makes it a semi-useless item for me. I just never get the feeling, I wan’t a steak, but not now, in 2 hours from now.

I’m in the @indytruks138 camp. Cast Iron ripping hot on a gas burner. Sear both sides hard for 3 or 4 minutes. Then for the premium steak house taste, grab a table spoon of butter, a sprig of time and a clove or 2 of garlic and toss them in the pan with the steak. Flip the steak once our twice in the butter for about a minute. Then put the steak on a plate and let rest for about 4 minutes covered.

Once I mastered this technique years ago, I started to hate to order steaks at restaurants, even when I wasn’t paying for the meal. Because is sucks when restaurant steaks aren’t as good as the steaks you make at home.

6 Likes

I love sous vide too but Luckily I can manage to do either the hard sear or reverse sear and still manage to get it to come out edible.

2 Likes

Preach, I rarely if ever order steak at a restaurant now as I can do better at home.

2 Likes

Best way to cook steaks: Whatever way YOU think tastes best.

3 Likes

I like mine boiled.

3 Likes

A friend is a volunteer cook at a camp once a year, and this year she pre-made a truckload of sous vide steaks then quickly blasted them by the tens at a time on the grill for serving. Apparently it was a big hit. It sounds quite useful for something like that.

3 Likes