How Small Dimensions Can You Print on 3D Printer

I am designing small hooks for a Japanese Watercolor Paint Brush Stand and I was wondering how small you can print on our printers. I attached a picture of the dimensioned drawing? Do you think I would run into any problems with printing it?

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 3.52.42 AM

Depends on the size of the nozzle and the accuracy of the printer. I would also be concerned with the weight of the object you plan to hold with it. The smaller the print the weaker it will be

2 Likes

That was actually my first thought as well. I know many of the small features I’ve printed in the past have been very delicate and I’d be concerned about the strength needed for your application. There are different filaments out there that provide different levels of strength but some of them require access to special printers that I don’t believe are up at the makerspace.

1 Like

Can’t hurt to print one and try it with some weight on it. It doesn’t look like it will take long to print. The ring shouldn’t be a problem - being closed it will have a fair amount of strength. IMO, the potential failure point is where the hook attaches to the ring. It’s a graceful looking design, but you might consider beefing up that connection point.

1 Like

If you decide to use the PolyPrinters, split it half, print the two halves, then use acetone to bind the halves to together. You will have a flat surface for printing and you will not need support.

3 Likes

3D printed parts definitely have a “grain” to them. Separately deposited layers can become delaminated.

If you print two halves and bond them together, it is probably worth orienting them 90 degrees differently on the bed so that the “grain” of the two cross, sort of like plywood.

1 Like

This is something best printed on the resin printer. Not sure about the status of DMS Elegoo Mars printer.

PM me if you have a quick need for this and I can print it on mine.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the great advice. The paint brushes I am needing to hang on it are very light so I do not think the hook will brake. Sounds like my best bet is going to be trial and error.

Thanks @Lampy for the kind offer to print it for me. I am not in a huge hurry and can wait for the Resin printers to come online at the space, or if we keep having to sequester ourselves buy one of my own. Right now I am doing a lot of designing stuff I can build when it is safe to venture out again. At least it is helping me learn my new Rhino CAD program.

3 Likes

Once you go resin you cannot go back except for print size and material variety. Progress is happening on those fronts quickly though.

1 Like