How powerful is the AR-15?

After 40 years. :slight_smile:
Perhaps the well is drying up.

Steyr seems like a company that isn’t as responsive to customer wants(granted that the US tacticool consumer market isn’t likely their primary market).

I like their pistols and the AUG & TMPs.

The link states the firearms need to be registered. There’s at least one country not on the list that allow firearms ownership to their citizens(with permits & checks).

+1

1 Like

Not a definition but there’s a list of countries in the video

Yup. Seen that. I don’t put any stock in Hollywood.

Every country has some form of freedom. Being an immigrant myself, I have some contrast.

Truth is, people are flocking to the US. Is it because of oppression? lack of freedoms? Poor economic conditions? Maybe the rest of the world knows something the we have forgotten or believe the propaganda we hear.

https://www.usnews.com/news/slideshows/10-countries-that-take-the-most-immigrants

Either way, this is a armory forum and not a political discussion. So with that, I bid you, Adieu.

Thanks for the post @Ferman,

I love that scene! I personally feel we are still the greatest country in the world. But, I understand the purpose of stating it as though we are not. Other countries are catching up, but none have surpassed us. Some claim the word “Freedom,” but they rarely live up to the definition by which we express it.

Correct,
Access to legal firearms is the only criteria, however it is ONE of them. Thus, it being gone or significantly encroached on also makes the equation not equal to “Free”.

:slight_smile:

Here’s an interesting list of “free” & “un-free” gun-toting & non gun-toting nations. :smiley:

True that. One thing seems universal though. Lots of cash buys you more “freedom” almost everywhere in the world.

The respective muzzle energies tell the tale even better thanks to the reality of 1/2 m x v²:

.22LR
5.56x45mm

No disputing it is much higher energy than 22LR, but if you compare to two very common hunting cartridges, the 308 Winchester or 30-06, with about 2,500 or 3,000 FtLbs of energy, it becomes clear that the 1,500 from 223/5.56 isn’t magically more powerful than a hunting rifle like the media tries to portray. In fact, 223/5.56 is often considered too low power for deer hunting.

Aye, it’s an intermediate cartridge indeed. There are magnum revolver rounds with more Wheaties. But it’s been getting the job done for the military and more recently law enforcement for decades.

Last time I was in Iraq - we weren’t shooting at deer

2 Likes