Horizontal Bandsaw blade tooth pitch

Hi, new member, so sorry if this has been discussed previously.

I see that the horizontal bandsaw has an 8 TPI blade on it with about half of the teeth broken off, and someone has laid out a new blade with 8 TPI as a replacement.

the bandsaw does not have feed control, so the teeth catching and breaking seems inevitable for someone trying to cut tubing.

It seems that the obvious answer to this would be to buy a finer toothed blade, is there a reason why 8 TPI was selected?

@Team_Metal_Shop

Is there a reason you couldn’t use either the Kalamazoo cold cut saw (brass/mild steel), or the Evolution saw (non-ferrous metals) in the machine shop?

The cold cut is typically what we point tubing users to since it’s a very clean and reliable cut.

1 Like

I didn’t know what material tubing he has … that’s why I offered both.

Was more reaffirming your advice with why we recommend it.

I assumed steel but you’re right, they never did state what kind of tubing.

1 Like

The tubing is thinwall stainless, ~3.6" OD. I didn’t think that the cold saw would be a good candidate because of tooth pitch, though admittedly, I did not try, and I do not have the approval to use it yet.

I had someone attempt to chuck it in the lathe as well, however the tubing is so thin that it eggs and wasn’t able to hold it securely.

My comment was more of a general comment that I think that the horizontal bandsaw does not really have the right blade for metal cutting.

For my particular job, I think I will give up and cut it with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder