Home Smart Locks

Hey gang. Just moved, and need to install new locks. I’d like to put in smart locks with

1.) replaceable cylinders
2.) a keypad
3.) a fingerprint reader, and
4.) able to open with my phone without using an app.

I can find smart locks with two or three, but not all four. Thank you for your help.

Hey gang. I’m just posting a reply to this to bubble it to the top to see if there’s anyone interested in the conversation… Would love to hear y’all’s feedback on smart locks used… as I’ve done more research. I’m really interested in locks with apple home key combined with biometrics and keypads…

I thought about replying when you first posted, but I didn’t want to be a “Debbie Downer.” I looked at these for a while, but the more I looked at consumer residential smart locks, the more security issues I saw. I didn’t find one at the time that provided the already limited security that a manual lock provides. All of the stuff I looked at provided pretty much inept authentication and had published exploits, many of which were “script kiddie” class.

Search LockPickingLawyer on Yutube and look at some of his smart lock stuff (reviews and exploits.) The upshot is that these seem almost more convenient for the bad guys than they are for you and attract problems because they are so easy to identify.

I don’t disagree with you. But the new house has a lot of internal deadbolts, so I’m thinking a good old fashioned lock for the front door, and easy smart locks for the internal doors.

Do you feel this applies to today’s (as in current offering) Nest-Yale locks as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Yale-Satin-Nickel-Connect/dp/B07BH6K3NT

(Clayton, I realize these don’t meet the Unicorn requirements you have outlined above…sorry)

It does seem as though I’m always looking for the unicorn! It drives my wife nuts…

I was really disappointed that Schlage has not stepped up to offer the unicorn in attractive finishes.

1 Like

I’ve not looked at these in a while. I would expect that Google/Nest would do a better job of security, but…

…Google has a history of product abandonment. These rely on a central server for many features. A responsible design would have essential services rely on that central server. The question then becomes “essential to whom?” Many of googles services are designed to keep you dependent on them. Past cases of abandonment have bricked what would seem to be otherwise network-independent services.

I’m a cranky old fart. I’m relieved my car uses a mechanical key lock and has no known remote hacks. I’m also glad I don’t use any highly theftable Kias or Hondas that the manufacturers refuse to fix.

The fact is that all of these features increase the attack surface. Whether the convenience offsets the increased risk is a personal decision.

Features you don’t or rarely use still increase the risk if they can’t or aren’t disabled. I do observe that once the “new is rubbed off” most folks seem to not use the majority of of these features. It’s usually easier to fiddle with keys than to authenticate on a smartphone. It even seems rare that any of them are used in the long run due to limitations on their practical use.

I’ll wait until they are clearly mature and the security issues and advantages are clearer and more stable.

1 Like

That’s going to depend on the nature of the app. If you’ve got to unlock the phone, open the app, {other futzing} then yeah might as well retrieve keys and avoid the additional complexity of electronics altogether. If it’s something running in the background ala bluetooth or NFC that works similar to RFID with minimal phone interaction then that’s going to be more convenient than keys.

But you’re still going to want to have those physical keys on you at all times.

1 Like

I think this one meets your specs, assuming you have Iphone. There’s no app-less lock opener for Android that I’m aware of.

I had the Schlage locks on my old house and I have the keyless Yale ones now. I like them but they still haven’t released a matter module, so no remote adding or removing of codes for my preferred smart home platform yet.

I’m a big fan of keypad locks. They lock themselves if you forget. They’re easy to use, and you can have separate codes for guests/housekeeper/whatever.

1 Like