Holiday Gifts Good and Bad Ideas

Auto club membership?

2 Likes

Voice-activated stuff for the phone and music…

2 Likes

I bought mine at Trader Joe’s. Whole Foods also has lots of oils so I’m sure they have jojoba. I like the Aura Cacia and NOW essential oils at Whole Foods. My Whole Foods has a clearance rack that I check every time I’m there for essential oils.

2 Likes

I bought one of these for my wife, too. Not having to put her purse on the floor was a huge hit. Awesome idea!

World Market is a great place to find cute gifts at the last minute too. I love their cooking gadgets section, and they also have a decent selection of international food.

1 Like

+1 on this!:blankspace:

For the first REALLY bad idea. Random puppies for people who don’t actually have a desire for a dog.

Crazy kitchen gadgets are often a hit in my house. They are often times cheap enough that they can be sort of throw-away items, but sometimes they become a real hit.

Along the same lines, a LOT of people have a cheap set of kitchen knives. Getting just a single GOOD chef’s knife can make a big difference in cooking. Prices can vary from $15 (not really all that great) to $tupid Expensive (awesome, but those people want to chose their own knives).

4 Likes

Hear! Hear!
I’ll amend that to “animals for people other than yourself”. Offer to accompany/research/assist, if you must, but everyone wants to select their own pet. They’d like the same option for their kids, but that’s not how that works…

Also, in my opinion, cars, cell phones, etc. Who wants a lease on a Lexus for a gift? I know Lexus wants us to want it, but I don’t, and I don’t know ANYONE who wants someone else to select their electronics, let alone their car. (but maybe I lead a sheltered life; elucidate if your opinion differs!)

:astonished: on that knife…

2 Likes

Great point with the high quality Chef’s Knife. I’ve always had a Cutco knife set and never really understood why people made such a big deal about the Japanese and German Chef Knifes. But, Ed kim talked me into getting a Shun 8 inch chefs knife. I’ve never looked back at the Cutco knifes again. The Shun holds an edge so much better and also takes an edge very easily. Here is a link to the knife that converted me.

Here is a link to amazon
http://a.co/3V2NAYN

If this is out of your budget, you can also get some really cheap ceramic knifes which really are quality.

I am open to gift cars (must be running) should anyone want to give me one. It is not beneath me to except one. It’s the thought that counts.

6 Likes

The thought here is on the glut of advertising this time of year that shows the spouse being not only surpirsed, but also happy that their significant other chose to purchase a $35k++ vehicle, apparently without their knowledge.

I’m fine if someone wants to gift me a car, but seeing as spouses generally share financial burdens, I’d not be terribly happy that they chose a fairly expensive purchase without my input.

2 Likes

As for a bad gift, this tops the scale for me. One year my cousin heard I was camping a lot and so she gifted me a Camp Alarm. I was 29 when this was given to me, not a teenage boy scout. I took it well at the time, thinking it was a joke gift, unfortunately it wasn’t.

They no longer sell the POS version I was given, but this is for sale on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripwire-Emergency-Personal-Included-Carabiner/dp/B01ISMRXVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511285844&sr=8-1&keywords=camping%2Btrip%2Balarm&th=1

That is useful for finding rockets. Oh, but you do not recover yours…

1 Like

I have a few ceramic knives, but the current wisdom is actually moving back toward good steel. Ceramics are simply too easy to damage (most of mine are missing the tips already) whereas a good steel knife will generally be a lot better overall tool. Mine were all inexpensive and do stay really sharp, but even expensive ones have the same brittleness issues.

1 Like

I think ceramics are “swear by” for folks that eat a lot of salads. They tell me it prevents browning especially on lettuce type things.

I have no use for such a knife.

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy the expensive ceramic knives because of the breaking issue and to be honest, they are not much better than the cheap ones. I consider the cheap ones to be some what disposable, especially considering you can get 3 for under $12 bucks delivered. When it comes to knives, you won’t get a metal knives anywhere near the quality of ceramic knives at this ultra low price point.

1 Like

Shun knives occasionally go on sale on zulily and a few other places. I gradually bought most of the Premier ones that way.

What?! I have a complete set of Shun knives but always wanted a few of the items they do not include in the set. Going to have to buy myself some holiday gifts. Squeeee…

1 Like

Yeah I only ever bought them as gifts. I’m not nearly that fancy myself and have had no complaints about my far less expensive kitchenaid set.

Pampered Chef knives are pretty sharp

It’s still sharp.