Holiday Gifts Good and Bad Ideas

Good morning everyone,

I started this thread to share how I select gifts for extended family, as well as share some of my best gift ideas. I also leave room in the discussion for humor, as I tend to choose items that people don’t often think of as great gifts. But, in context can be great gifts.

How do I choose a gift for extended family?

Well I tend to start with price point. I have about 8 to 10 extended family members that I buy gifts for. This is the family you talk to, but only see once or twice a year at best, close Cousins, Aunts, Uncles. So I set my price point at about $15 to $40 per person. So, sorry your not getting the Iphone X.

Then I try to pick items which will have an impact on their life. By this I mean things people use every day, or items that you keep around at all times just in case you need them. I want something you will use in the year, rather than weird or funny cheap crap that no one wants. I often find my choice items based on usually ordinary things I purchased for myself during the year.

So what have been my successes?

Socks
I’m not joking. This has been one of my best received gifts to date. As most people, not me, wear socks every day, they don’t think much of them and probably only wear cheap and to be honest crappy socks from the store. But, this is where you can make a splash. Buy 1 pair of PREMIUM socks as a luxury item. These are the kind things your relatives don’t often think of, but will enjoy through out the year. My go to options are:

KrazyGoatSocks.com
these are an awesome work, camping, or just lounging sock. They are medium weight (compared to store socks HEAVY WEIGHT) sock that are awesome. They are Ultra Plush inside and strong on the outside. They have silver in the weave, keeping them from getting stinky. No joke, it works. In my use these in use while camping and wearing the same socks multiple days without washing only had very light smell. Another big plus is these are made from Texas Wool and all work is done in the USA. But, unless you have family in cold weather, someone that likes lounging in socks, or work on their feet, odds are they won’t use these socks all that often. But, I have another option for the warm weather or thin sock lover.

Smart Wool and Darn Tough
These are the more hip and every day style luxury socks. They often come in fun patterns and are offered in lighter weights for warmer climates.

I’ll add more items later, but if you have any ideas of other great gift ideas or terrible ones you would suggest everyone stay away from, please share.

2 Likes

Another great small gift is a key chain pocket knife. These are cheap, everyone carries keys on them at nearly all times, and we all search for a knife when we get a package in the mail. So, this fits my impact goal as well as lower price point. My go to option for this is:

or if you don’t want to deal with shipping from China

These are perfect small knives that easily fit on a key chain.

3 Likes

One that I’ve found is a good, rechargible keychain flashlight. With a form factor that works better than the cr2032 based ones, this gets one hour per charge on bright, and nearly a couple days on dim. It isn’t a focused light at all, but works well for any close up illumination needs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y67CRXF/ref=twister_B00XRHPOLS?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

1 Like

If you have ever thought to yourself that it was a shame that the geometry of a wood chisel wasn’t available as a knife:
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Carpentry-Chisel-3-0-Inch/dp/B00T3ES1SC/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1511192124&sr=8-17&keywords=morakniv+knife

My gift suggestion for people with everything is consumables. Food or movie tickets or play tickets.

This works really well with the elderly.

The 2nd gift idea is your time. Yard work or a drive to the doctor or a trip to the grocery store.

4 Likes

I’m a therapist, so I try to buy soothing gifts for people, so adult sticker/coloring books and silly tea infusers with decent tea. I also try to pick things aligned with their interests, or things that are hopeful or evocative like the travel sticker book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0761193634/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511198432&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sticker+book+adult&dpPl=1&dpID=51JEdHQP7SL&ref=plSrch

2 Likes

Awesome Ideas!!!

@kbraby, I love the rechargeable flash light. I’m a bit to minimalist on my key chain to add it, but it is a really nice option and you can tell it is better than most people would buy for themselves.

If you are looking at the other end of the Flashlight spectrum, Big Ultra Bright Flashlights, this is my favorite option currently.

These are amazingly bright! and for the price will blow away other flashlights anywhere near their cost. Trust me on this I own three and often get compliments on how awesome they are.

@SewingStuff, another amazing tea gift is a bottom dispensing tea pot. I love these! They are easy to use, easy to clean, and wow others when they see you use it. Even though I already have one, I would always take another.

3 Likes

I am making ornaments and spa/relaxation set with homemade hair/beard oils, fuzzy socks, etc. I like buying homemade soap for stocking stuffers, teacher and coworker gifts. I got these one year and people loved them:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/249918273/gingerbread-man-soap-loaf-gingerbread?ref=shop_home_active_15

Other things - vinyl, etched glass tea mugs, tea, essential oil diffusers with oils, diffuser jewelry, pens and indie perfume samples with a gift card. Homemade cookies, nuts (Target seems to have the best deal) and other treats are also good. I like to buy handmade whenever possible or make things myself.

4 Likes

That is really cool, we keep ornaments from year to year in our family. So it is always great finding the ones we made back in the day. I even love the old M&M tube topper ornaments we would get with candy at Christmas. Just love the memories, I think I’ll buy some clear ball ornaments for the family to make some this year to add to the collection.

Home made beard oil is very cool as well. is your’s a oil or more of a balm?. My neighbor made me some beard balm last year and I loved it! He hasn’t made any since which is sad. I would love some beard balm with a peppermint scent. What is your recipe?

Just thinking about all of this gets me into the mood for the holidays. I hope it does the same for everyone else!

3 Likes

I can’t find the exact beard oil recipe that I used last year but it was probably similar to the one below. I probably added bee propolis to it which might cause an allergic reaction for some people.

Ignore the essential oils are a cure for everything sales pitch on that website, I’m not too much into EOs, I just like the smell. Mine is definitely an oil. I am going to look into making a balm. While I’m on the topic of balms, I bought one of these for my 4 year old so she can wear perfume without me having to worry about her spilling or breaking a glass bottle. I asked the seller to put mica in it for a sparkle and add lavender essential oil.

ETA - something like this also goes well with the beard oil:

https://www.amazon.com/Beard-Brush-Men-Softening-Conditioning/dp/B01MR513G3/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1511206601&sr=1-6&keywords=beard+brush

2 Likes

I gave these to my sisters a few years ago and they all loved them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VNXSDM/ref=asc_df_B005VNXSDM5275048/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B005VNXSDM&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193157030383&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3509417462403455357&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024578&hvtargid=pla-310260518870

I found a place that did monogrammed ones so I added their initials for just a little more. Fairly cheap and something that most people tend not to think of but really love once they get them.

2 Likes

Don’t know about “tactical” survival knife, but Nick gave me one a while back and is nice and small for a key chain and great for opening boxes for all the things we order online!

Thanks Nick!

2 Likes

This is my favorite gift. Anyone who has a shower needs a Jeff Goldblum shower curtain.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldblum-Waterproof-Curtain-Curtains-LiangZP/dp/B01N3PNZDI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511209187

6 Likes

That is great,

When my sister went to college, I had a blanket made with her Cat she left behind on it. It was a weird gift, and to be honest was meant to be kind of a joke. But, she still has and loves the blanket. So if you ever want to make something weird for family to hold on to, that is another good idea. it will go over the $50 mark though.

Here is a groupon for 50% off
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-photo-weavers-19?deal_option=1f070214-3f57-4176-b285-f1f71d67cf59&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US_DT_SEA_GGL_TIM_TTT_PADS_CBP_CHP_NBR_ggg-photo-weavers-19_productpartitionid291451762637_campaignid228801421_adgroupid39897679594_prodtarget291451762637_productid53701005_targetpla-291451762637_dGoods-Product-Ads_keyword*_adtypepla_merchantdid10018412_c163255800648_k_m*_adposition*1o5&mr:referralID=aac4fb63-ce35-11e7-983e-005056946dac&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64OAzIXO1wIVCP5kCh1mugvhEAYYBSABEgKgUvD_BwE

1 Like

Does anyone have gift suggestions for a 16 year old new driver? It’s the Christmas of the Car this year. Last year was Filament Year.

I have the gift EVERY 15 year old should be given, in preparation for the 16 year old gift, though later is better than not at all: sticker shock warning, though benefit for cost compared to a car purchase will be astronomically low.

3 Likes

Alas, in Georgia. I wonder what the price is? I couldn’t see a listing.

A helmet, a device that transmits cars telemetrics in real times with alerts. Well I guess only the first one is for her, the second is for you. Probably could turn it off as a graduation present … from college.
Consumer reports

I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in this, as I’ll bet it’s well out of date, but here’s a ballpark

And seriously, even @ ~$2000, this will last a lifetime, compared to a car, which it takes a special person to make last a lifetime, even @ $50,000.

3 Likes

Do you buy your jojoba locally or do you order it online?