Hiring a welder to teach a welding class

Reading and talking it seems to me there is a long list of people wanting to take welding classes but no classes open. I think I missed one class in the last year. So, thinking out of the box, what if we hire a welder to teach the class so we can get on with it? I know we already pay monthly dues but the waiting got old. Anyone else interested?

2 Likes

Yes! I am interested!

A MIG class was just held Saturday. It was full but I was able to sign up on Friday.

2 Likes

I’m doing mig classes every other Saturday. Be on the lookout! The last one didn’t fill up until a couple of days before.

7 Likes

Thank you for the info. I don’t know how I am missing these classes since I check the event calendar often. @LukeStrickland I will be glued to the monitor for the next class in 2 weeks. Any ideas when you will be posting it? Thanks! David

1 Like

And you, sir, are a rock star.
This is one of the myriad reasons. :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you Luke!
You will see me in every one that you offer now that I’ve go the intro out of the way.
Thanks,
Woody

New classes

Safety: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5106
MIG: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5107
Tig: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5108

4 Likes

Do you see the metal support structure of this piece? What type of welding would you guesstimate they used?

1 Like

First off, the frame appears to be mild steel tack welded square rod structure covered with what I’d guess is an insulating material held in place by wire. It is probably done with MIG looking at the welds, they seem to have “point” in their centers which indicates an arc. I doubt it was done with TIG the welds look to dirty and do not appear typical of a TIG weld or stick. They don’t look like it was done with anything that uses flux - so stick is out or flux core MIG

If you are referring to the black metal frame around the edge, that is mild steel “L” angle. Again, most probably done with MIG. Could be done with TIG or Stick, but not likely.

Slight chance these were all done with Oxy-Acetylene since the welds have a slight “puddle” and very little spattering that I’d expect to see with MIG (flux core not shielded) look to them, but they are not clean enough to be TIG the “point” in the center is not typical of Oxy-Acet puddle (but welder technique could create this)

If your asking how to do similar weldments. Could be any of the processes. All work well on mild steel.

3 Likes

Hey! The Safety/Process course I took wasn’t applied to my account. So it’s not letting me sign up for the Feb. 20th MIG class. I took the safety course with you on the 6th of January. Any help would be appreciated. I’d love to take your course!

1 Like

Thank you for the info. I have registered for the safety class. I’ll wait 'till it posts to register for the Mig class.

I have a relative who is a professional welder who has expressed interest in possibly teaching a class on whatever welding process we need the most.

In the intermediate, I’m planning on teaching a class on stick welding if there is enough interest. I spoke @dallasmagna about it, but we’re still working on the details so there’s no date in mind yet.

2 Likes

I have 3 welding classes posted:

• Welding Processes and Safety - Sunday 2/11 -Take this class if you have not to sigh up for the TIG and MIG Classes.

-TIG Welding - Sunday 2/18

• MIG Welding - Sunday 2/18

By the way, I got the Miller Syncrowave 250 going last night and it is now working fine. I will cover its operation in the TIG class.

5 Likes

Thank you. I registered for the Sunday safety class… can’t register for the MIG 'till the credits for the safety class are in. Thanks again.

Hey there! I took the safety and process class on January 6th with Luke. However it is not registering in my account so I’m unable to sign up for your class on the 18th. Do you know who I can contact to fix this? Thank you!

Post to the #issues-requests (<-- clickable link) category with your name, class # if you have it (or date/time/instructor info) and tag (use the @ symbol in front of their name) team_infrastructure to do the deed, as well as your instructor (I suspect “Luke” is LukeStrickland) to confirm you were in the class.
The infra folks will put you in the right group. :+1:

1 Like

I want stick, although I’m going to have to wait for maybe a month so that I can buy some boots. All my shoes either leave the top of my foot open, or have laces.

Make some leather “spats”, pretty easy or buy 'em , they’re cheap

3 Likes

There’s a lot of scrap leather samples up there. Pieced together, they’d even be crazy-colorful :stuck_out_tongue: (good idea though, thx)

2 Likes