High Pot Tester (No, not the cool kind)

Someone got this at an auction, but didn’t know what it was and gave it to me. I figured out what it is but don’t have a practical use for it… Is this something the electronics department has any interest in?

2 Likes

If electronics does not want it I can give it a good home. I was mostly after all kinds of test gear at the auction. I already put a lot of my extra unwanted stuff on the free shelf and it did not last long. More coming soon as I continue to sort out everything I got from the auction.

1 Like

That’s good device to test motor insulation as well as insulation of wiring. They are expensive as hell, I’ve looked a getting one for work and they run about 5k new. They can also be dangerous, if you don’t know what you are doing. You can have enough capacitance in wire for it to hold a charge while disconnected. Insert need for a discharge probe.

4 Likes

Electronics Committee is interested! I don’t think DMS has anything similar.
You can drop it off in the Electronics Lab (ELab).
Do you want a donor receipt for taxes?

Thanks!
Art

3 Likes

We need to make sure this is working properly, and IMO this needs to be equipment that requires training. I worked for a third party testing lab and these things can be VERY dangerous if a person is not trained to understand the kind of voltage it produces.

1 Like

Dammit. I thought this was a job posting.

1 Like