Helpdesk is back!

We can now visit helpdesk.dallasmakerspace.org to see all the available issues and feature requests.

4 Likes

Suggest that you combine your two threads on this topic.

1 Like

Here we go again… :blankspace:

3 Likes

What’s a helpdesk vs issues and requests?

Ah, you youngsters…
:wink:
For historical context:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/10-02-kill-the-ticket-system/12918
also, search “itop” on Talk…
:popcorn:

2 Likes

Its yet another way to create another layer of shit you also have to be familiar with for DMS to be useful to you.

We should be consolidating not diversifying.

3 Likes

Not really,

It seems the goal is to have a central board where we can all see the issues that need to be fixed, rather than a hard to use multi-level system that effectively black holes all issues like the previous system that was setup back in the day and is being ridiculed in this thread.

The central list allows for public accountability which is the major gain from our TALK Issue Category approach. Plus, this may be able run in conjunction with TALK.

If you look at what @denzuko is trying to setup, it seems that the system will be able to start tickets via email. This is awesome, as we can setup a user that follows just the Issues Category of Talk. That user would receive emails when ever a new thread was started. If we have the email side setup well enough, it may automatically build the ticket in the ticketing system.

From there, we can have a TV feed of the issues needing help at DMS. Which is something I would glance at personally if it were at the space and try to fix the items that I could easily.

Second, our forum can receive emails and turn them into posts directly on the threads. So if a item were completed and the ticket was closed, the new system might be able to send an email to the forum with the solution and a request for a moderator to close the thread.

With this kind of a setup, the new ticket / help desk setup may be a great addition to our system. @John_Marlow has been running a tool status page for DMS for a few years now, if the new help desk works, it may also be able to update the tool status page as well, given the correct hooks, again bettering our current systems.

So before we call this another failure, lets give it a chance. I can see ways that it could help without removing functions that are some what working. Plus, if we have all this information in a central database, we might even be able to learn from it to further advance the space.

5 Likes

Given that only a small percentage of DMS members are on talk, how is this better than the physical help board that used to be on the wall outside 3D Fab?

Edit: Online is great for people outside of the space but I think the physical version had a lot activity.

2 Likes

Or maybe a big monitor with a scrolling list?

This creation of a Byzantine architecture doesn’t sound like an improvement.

Great DMS certainly like their big monitors! Yet more signage to ignore. Let’s throw in a computer and keyboard and make it kiosk. I’ll give myself a :sweet_potato:

1 Like

My understanding of that help board was that it was intended for personal projects whereas this would be for “makerspace business”.

Ahh, that was missing in the definition.

Now for a little fun, can’t wait to spam it with:

Out of Toilet Paper - Men’s Front Hall
Out of Toilet Paper - Women’s Front Hall
Out of Toilet Paper - Women’s Bck Hall
Out of Toilet Paper - Mixed Back Hall
Take out the trash - Breakroom
Take out the trash - Conference Room
Take out the trash - Digital Media
Take out the trash - Lecture Hall
Take out the trash - Interactive 2X
Take out the trash - Creative Arts
Take out the trash - 3D Fab
Take out the trash - Electronics 2x
Take out the trash - Purple Classroom

That’s just inside.

2 Likes

Please report all Logistics issues to the https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/c/issues-requests category on Talk.

4 Likes

LOL.
Also, FYI, you can type in octothorp and channel venue, just like you do for tagging @handles, and it’ll pull them up so you can insert links for that channel easily into your posts, e.g. #issues-requests

blimmy, your got it in one!!

Ok so I didn’t think about the talk user idea but that may work better than a bot that pulls the discourse api and syncs to github.

@MathewBusby

We should be consolidating not diversifying.

It is consolidating, with automation I’ve deployed an elk stack that gives us a central point to see where and when things break or if there’s issue that could be automatically fixed.

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMyAAAAJDBkNzM3YmExLWQyNzAtNDg3Mi05MjRhLWEyN2ZiZDU0NDRmNg.png

The thing is, talk does not work well in this environment github+elk+travisci does. But its more than a “list” as @Nick points out its also automated repairs, breakage prevention, and notifications of when things are broken. The last scrum meeting only had five attendees, including Stan and myself. Is it right that just Five people keep all the things running for 2000+ members? Sure there’s a few other volunteers helping out but that is a lot of load on everyones shoulders. The more we make this easier for all the better.

1 Like

physical help board that used to be on the wall outside 3D Fab
My understanding of that help board was that it was intended for personal projects whereas this would be for “makerspace business”.

Yes, that is help line which is now becoming software based: HelpLine Cross post

On a user confusion note, the “help line” and the “help desk” names are too similar. It is still early, I would suggest renaming the “help like” to something like Project and Freelance Request Board. This kind of a name seems more in line with what the board would be and it would allow for differentiation from the help desk.

3 Likes

internally I’ve been calling it job board but " Freelance Request Board" reminded me of borderlands so about something I’m between, since there’s an exchange of services or currency, how
about something like quests or bounty board?