Help with Soldering Project

Hello all,

I’m nearing the completion of an Arduino project, and I’m planning to come in on Saturday the 29th to solder my components to the custom PCBs I ordered. Before you ask, I have all discrete components on hand, ready to go. What I’m asking for is a bit of guidance on the finer points of soldering. I’ve managed to solder Header Pins onto an Arduino Pro Micro (so I could plug it into a breadboard and prototype the circuit for this project), but that was last year, and this multi-board project is much more involved than that. In other words, I know the basics, but I could use some finer points on technique. I would also greatly appreciate someone letting me know if I’m about to do something stupid…

I am not asking for anyone to split the work with. It’ll take a while, but it’s my project and I want to see it through.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

I plan to be in most of the day Saturday. You’ve got my number.

1 Like

Thanks! I forgot to mention this earlier, but the boards are panelized, so I’ll need to cut them out of the panel to work with them individually (either before or after soldering components to them). Do you think a dremel would work for that?

Depends, are they tabbed or scored?

I think they’re tabbed. About 3 tabs per board, with a slot cut around each perimeter, stopping at the tab. The tabs aren’t very wide, but they do not appear to be V-Scored.

Sounds like a Dremel scenario but if not @keoliver may be OK these cuts being done on the plastics bandsaw.

Side cutters will probably do the deed. And a little sandpaper to smooth the flash.

Side cutters will work well but you could also use the bandsaw in plastics if you have had the woodshop basics or the bandsaw class . We follow the worship training for the analogous plastics shop tools .

V-Cut tabs should just snap by bending them. It is kinda the point of them :slight_smile:

I have some beefy cheapo nippers that I often use to remove supports from my 3D Prints, I may give those a try later. Would it be helpful to score the tabs with an old X-Acto knife first?

You really don’t want to encourage this in glass filled epoxy boards. They dull your blade quickly and the dust is hazardous.

This has changed to noon to 6 or so.

Ok, thanks!

And maybe Sunday, too.