Help with Re-sawing

Is there anyone interested in helping me re-saw two 1" thick pieces of wood into four 1/2" pieces? Each piece is about 12x16". It’s hard maple, if that matters. I’m not that familiar with this procedure and would appreciate help!

Just to clarify. What is the actual finished thickness needed? You will lose at least 1/16" resawing and probably more when you plane to even thickness. To resaw successfully you need to start with a straight flat board with one square edge. Sometimes just getting your board ready to resaw removes 1/8". If you can live with thinner your in good shape. At 12" tall you will need a blade designed for resawing or at a minimum catch our saw with a new cheap blade installed. Resawing 12" tall will tax our blades to the max. The saw however can do it with no problem with the right blade. The wood shop does not own a carbide tipped resaw blade.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? I know I’ve asked @AlexRhodes about it in the past, and he said that we do have a resaw blade for the big bandsaw, but it was kept put away because of the risk of damage.

It belongs to Jimmy not the woodshop. It should not be used without his permission

Sorry about that. I thought it was part of the deal when Jimmy brought in the saw. I stand corrected per Matt’s comment.

That could have changed as Jimmy is very gracious with his tools. It was not part of the original deal and he kept it in his project storage. Andrew would know if that changed.

Smaller is fine. I know it’s not literally going to be 1/2". The pieces were planed and jointed previously.

Here’s the history: I’m making a desk. I put together several boards of 1" thick and cut out my more difficult pieces on the CNC router a while back. The pieces needing re-saw are going to be shelves and I thought I’d save having to buy more wood if I just cut these in half.

Sounds good, we can do it. I’m hoping to be there several evening this week before I go out of town.

Is this the sort of blade you’d use? Which length fits the large saw?

http://www.rockler.com/laguna-tools-resaw-king-carbide-bandsaw-blade-3-4-inch-carbide-blade

Yes, that is the best. I previously used a Woodmizer blade on my Laguna with good success also but they are more made for bandsaw mills.

I actually go out of town this weekend, too, starting Thursday. Can you meet Wednesday night some time?

Which length of blade does our saw take?

158" that’s 20 characters of inches

2 Likes

I thought they were like a big circle?

(I’ll show myself out)

Hey everyone,

I still need help with this. @mkart seems like a busy guy. Also, he found out the blades weren’t in very good condition – but that was last week, so maybe they’re better now… So two questions:

1. Is there anyone else who knows how to do this and can help me out in the near future?
  2. Have the band saw blades been replaced?

I can tell you that the bandsaw blades are one of the most abused items in the shop. I would purchase my own blade if I was really worried about the availability of a sharp blade.

This is true for sure. 4 days after the last blade was installed we were going to meet to do it and I could not resaw 2.5" tall white oak so 12" of maple definitely wasn’t going to happen. I am probably not going to be at the space much for a while, I have several trips booked over the next few weeks. If someone installs a new blade you need to do this the first day it is on.