Help with Glass Cutting?

Hi, All!

I have a project that looks like it will require me to cut some glass for a table top. Is this something that can be done at DMS, and if so, would anyone (pretty please) happen to feel generous enough to help me with that? I can be at the space anytime this weekend. I’ve never cut glass before, so I don’t know how hefty of an endeavor I’m asking, but I’m happy to work out a deal for your time.

Thank you, thank you! :pray:t4:

1 Like

I won’t be up until next Thursday, however I can show you then if no one else is available this weekend.

It probably depends on what kind of glass and what size.

If you mean you need to cut 1/4" thick tempered glass to make a tabletop, then I suspect the answer is no. Someone else will need to weigh in.

If you need to cut some “regular window glass” to put on top of a table top that’s a different issue, but might be limited if you need to cut a huge piece. Again, someone else will need to answer.

1 Like

Glass for “most” tabletops is tempered and cannot be cut.

More details are needed for your tabletop glass project.

Addison Glass & Mirror is very close to the makerspace in the event you need tempered glass for a table. Or any glass or mirror.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. Like I said, this isn’t my bailiwick, which is why I turned here first. At present, there actually are no specific details to share—as far as the glass is concerned—because I wanted to see what was possible at Makerspace before planning anything.

I’m building an end table with a driftwood base and wooden top, and wanted to see how I could incorporate glass in the top to allow feature the driftwood more.

There is range of tempered glass table tops available on Amazon. The prices seem high if you are comparing to window glass, but they will be cheap compared to custom tempered glass tabletops. They have a surprising range of common furniture sizes, and even sometimes options on edge treatment. Local glass shops might also have some stock size options. I’m not sure if they come out ahead on total price by being local pickup.

1 Like

Addison glass and mirror has in house cnc glass and mirror cutting and edge options.

For Example if you have a non standard shape but have a pattern, they will custom cut to your pattern.

They offer a variety of edges from plain (seamed) to various routed styles.

Complete glass fabrication and made in the usa

1 Like