Help with first project

Would anyone be willing to meet for a little bit tomorrow and walk me through my first project? Will venmo for your time. I am making a leather journal and I’ve had the basic laser training but just want to make sure I’m doing it correctly.

Unrelated question - is there a website where you guys find templates, or do you design your projects from scratch?

1 Like

You might want to cross-post in the Creative Arts / Leather Work category. There are plenty of members who have lasered leather - there used to be a Leather - n - Lasers class…

As for free patterns/templates, there are some resources in the wiki https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Leather
There’s also various leather working forums like leatherworker.net or reddit.com/r/leathercraft. Tandy has free patterns if they’re still around. http://makesupply-leather.com/ has some free patterns as well. I use Google to search sites for PDFs that may be on unlinked pages, like this:
pdf site:makesupply-leather.com

2 Likes

Because x-posting tends to look SPAMmy, it is something we generally discourage:

Instead, perhaps a more meaningful title, such as “Seeking Help With First Project: Lasered Leather Bound Journal. Seeking Wingman For First Run” would snag the folks most interested in these topics…

3 Likes

One can also tag the appropriate committee where appropriate, but I don’t think there’s a way to tag a SIG - is there? That’s the primary reason I suggested cross-posting. Normally summoning with @team_whatever combined with a good title will the help one needs.

2 Likes

Indeed, and even though I thought we had a “team_leather_sig”, I appear to have been wrong…
Maybe we need one.
The leader thereof and/or their sponsoring chair should maybe inquire about getting something like that…
:smiley:

2 Likes

Do you have a style or design in mind?

Most of my lasered leather projects have been designed digitally from scratch. I use inkscape to design in typically. Laser your stitch holes first and verify they are clean before you do your outer cuts. Feel free to reach out if you need help.

3 Likes

I thought this topic was familiar… :smiley:

Also - check the shared drive under CA / leatherworking - there is a folder with templates.

3 Likes

thanks all for your input!

Just wanted to make a simple small journal with nothing fancy - I found a template under the shared drive that another poster mentioned. Will reach out if I need help, thank you for offering!

2 Likes