Help with an RC Car

Not sure if this is the right group to post this but thought I would start here. I am trying to fix my son’s RC car and need some help with troubleshooting. The motor operates intermittently and when it does run it only runs for a few seconds at a low speed. I know the battery is good and I checked the voltage out from the ESC and when I pull the trigger on the transmitter I get 8 volts which matches the battery output. I have a spare ESC and it behaves the same way when I use it. I think I am down to it being either the transmitter or the motor. The motor is brushed DC. Is there a way I can eliminate one of these options? I believe the output from the ESC is a PWM signal. Is there a way to check that? Any help would be appreciated!

Do you another motor? I’d check the motor because it sounds like the ESC is doing its job, but the motor just doesn’t work like it is supposed to. Is the brushed motor pretty well used? Brushes do wear out.
Is there any wobble in the spindle of the motor? Has the car been in a wreck?

I don’t have another motor. I tried connecting the battery directly to the motor and it would turn but not every time. I wasn’t sure if it was the connection or not. I didn’t have the appropriate connectors so it was a little rigged. The motor is not old. My son has only had it for about a year

RC car motors have a very hard life. I would suspect the motor. If it doesn’t work reliably when directly connect to the battery.

3 Likes

I would add that if you have the option replace it with a brushless. More power, more control, lighter and it won’t wear out as quick.

2 Likes