Help welding 1/4” rod

There are no welding classes on the schedule and I need help to weld a 1/4” rod to 1/4” all thread.

There are two classes scheduled and should show up in 72 hours. For what you are wanting to do, the TIG classes will be perfect.

Are these classes still planned for 5/19? I keep watching for them to appear.

Yep. They will appear 72 hours after the class was submitted, and I submitted the class moments before the talk post time.

I will be @ DMS tomorrow and probably Friday and can weld if you want me to weld it for you. I’ll be available after 9:30 or 10 Thursday, not sure about Friday yet. I can MIG, stick or TIG, my preference in that order.

First, neither piece is galvanized, correct? Second, will the failure of this weld cause potential loss of life or limb? If either of those answers are yes, I strongly suggest you hire a professional. Vaporized tin is lethal when inhaled and can not be welded at DMS. If this weld is crucial, it would be prudent to have someone who’s a certified welder do the job.

1 Like

Thanks for following up. This is not galvanized and will not cause any potential harm or injury. The 1/4” rod and 1/4” all thread was purchased at Lowe’s. The rod is prob mild steel and the all thread prob has a zinc coating like bolts.

Thanks again,

Bob

Zinc coating is a no-no as well, but if it can be ground off well enough then it should be weldable.

Other way to remove zinc is to soak it in vinegar for a while or to heat it (VENTILATED AREA!) until it glows red. In fact, just forget the heat it part. I’d go with soaking in a mild acid.

Will soak in vinegar,thanks.

I will not weld on anything knowingly containing or coated with zinc. I’m not sure what the specific rules are, but my understanding is that if someone is caught welding on a zinc coated part they can be suspended or expelled from DMS. Grinding it off or dissolving it may meet the needs of the rules, but I’m not interested either way.

Inhalation of zinc fumes is fatal.

I suggest switching to ss bolt, or weld a ss nut on to the rod and thread it together, or just switch to ss completely. How about jb weld?

Not to beat a dead horse, this bears repeating. Inhalation of zinc fumes is fatal.

Slowly i’m learning! Hence my need for the safety class which I will be taking.

Many thanks!

Or you could thread the rod with a die or on the lathe, depending on size and length to be threaded.
Edited to add: also thread pattern matters relating to the method you would prefer.

Not to beat this horse corpse any harder, but during training in reference to zinc poisoning, I believe “convulsions,” “seizures,” and “bleeding out of multiple orifices” was mentioned. I will gladly weld on ss if you’d like. I think we have ss tig filler rod. I’ve never welded anything besides mild steel, but if you’re buying I’m drinking.

I apologize for being inaccurate. I was repeating my recollection from the safety class. I’ll double check my notes; but I’m pretty positive that that was heavily emphasised.

Metal fume fever isn’t great but it won’t kill you, it’s one of those “definitely want to avoid” parts of welding, but not in the realm of “will definitely kill you”. With that said, it’s not allowed to be welded at DMS, so it doesn’t really matter.

What size thread are you looking at? How long is the thread? How long is the rod?

We may be able to do a work around.

If the tread is short enough, you might be able to buy a regular carbon steel bolt with no coating. Also you can mechanical remove the zinc as mentioned.

Thanks for all the info. I learned a lot.