Help surfacing and making a juice groove

Hello,

I was hoping someone with multicam access could help me level an end grain cutting board and make a simple juice groove. I’m happy to pay for the help with $ or assistance with something you’re working on.

Thank you,
Michael

Just curious, why the mulitcam?

I did another end grain board a year ago and spent maybe a month at the sander getting everything flat :frowning:

It would be better if someone could walk me through maybe using a router (with sled) but I’m a little nervous with such a large hand held tool. When I tried making a sled somehow not everything was level (not the table, not the sled etc) and I couldn’t get any bits to fit in the router :confused: What do you suggest?

We have a number of sanders… which one were you trying to leverage to get the board flat?

Personally I would use the router table for a juice groove. Set the height and fence distance and done a few minutes later.

2 Likes

Router table absolutely for the juice groove. Look up how to make blind cuts on the router table. It’ll walk you through using painters tape as a reference to know how far you need to go.

As far as surfacing, you can make a router sled if no one wants to surface it for you. Alternatively you can glue some plywood strips of the same or greater height around the edges with some hot glue or just a bit of wood glue and take it down to hardwood lumber company. They’ll surface it for you for about $15. The strips prevent blowout on the ends of the board. I’ve done this with them for two in the past and it works great and it’s definitely worth the money to save the time.

Alternatively, drum sander. And a Lotta time.

3 Likes

Great suggestions, thank you! I’ll definitely look that up and reach out if I have any questions.

I did this: Donated Lumber Decision? - #20 by Chris_Fazio

Can I offer some help?

1 Like

Very nice! I’d love some help! I think I can figure out how to do the blind cuts on the router table, do you think you could help me get the board flat?

I can help with both. A couple weeks ago I hosted a cutting board class: Events | Dallas Makerspace Calendar Some of the students posted in the Dec show and tell.

And for the last couple of months, I’ve been teaching the woodshop basic’s class. I can show you the router table, but if you are going to use the router table, Please, Please Please, do a test cut first!

Help with?

If you still need assistance in cutting a juice grove, there is a jig that you can use. I will be at DMS on Wednesday through Friday during the day. Let me know when you can make it and I will be happy to show you how to use it. I will bring my palm router for use.

2 Likes

@pjolone1 I’ve been looking for a jig for a juice groove. If you are gonna be around I’d love to get some tips

Round/bull nose bit and a couple of stop blocks clamped on the router table fence should work just fine, just test the settings on some scrap wood first.

It’s what I did to create the handle cutouts for my cutting boards.

1 Like

Friday after 12pm.

See you then