Help splitting full round dowels

Is there anyone available within the next week to help get me started with splitting full round pine molding into halves? I figure the table saw with a jig is best but have no clue how to make a jig for this project.

I’ve tried calling a few lumber stores and mounding supply stores in Dallas and no one sells half rounds to the public.

What diameter?
Lowe’s Various sizes

Home Depot various sizes

What diameter and length?

What is the application?

Does it have to be true half-round as in the width of the flat side is the diameter of the circle?

Note that the “finger jointed” pieces @Photomancer found won’t look particularly good stained - it’s made up of glued together short pieces.

There are clear pieces also available via the same link. Just don’t shop by price alone, especially if you plan to use curbside pickup.

Hot glue the dowel to the bottom edge of the wide side of a 1x4 then rip it on the bandsaw with the 1x4 against the fence. The height of the 1x4 will help hold it straight.

If you want a true half-round you’ll need to place the blade so the whole saw kerf waste comes from the one side of center (glued to the board). You won’t get two full half rounds because the saw will eat some of the width.

The bandsaw blade is thinner than the table saw and you’ll have more control. You can split it 50/50, but you’ll lose perhaps 1/32” (0.035”) from the kerf.

5 Likes

Yes, the bandsaw is much safer for this operation if it comes to it! There are variety of ways you can set it up, but the bandsaw is definitely the way to go.

2 Likes

this video is splitting bamboo but the principal would be the same

3 Likes

FYI that yellow jig would be an easy 3d print

1 Like

Start with hardwood board. Use router table to round over edge of the board. Rip the part you want to keep on tablesaw.

I

1 Like

This is a mockup of what I’m making along with a couple of inspiration photos.

I’m getting 1-5/16 full round pine moulding and want to split them to reduce the cost. I could use the full rounds in my application if splitting them is too difficult. I know basic woodworking, but have never done anything like this before.

Yes, they would need to be true half rounds since I’m using half my supply on one base and the rest of the other base.

I’m curious why you aren’t purchasing half-rounds to start with? The size you want not available?

Thanks for sharing that video…very helpful and seems like this is the best way to go. This will be the first time making a jig. Wish me luck!

Also need to learn how to 3D print for that splitter, but I’ll save that for another day.

Lowes and Home Depot only have half rounds that are under 1" and I’d like to have closer to 1.5"

With the amount you are going to need for that design, you may consider just ordering the 1 1/2” half round and cut to length. It is out there: https://www.gahwd.com/p-571-gh119-1-12-half-round.aspx

3 Likes

Neat jig. Will have to make one for the next time I need to split PVC.

This really goes for anytime you’re using the table saw but especially for making the V-notch. Be very sure not to stand directly behind the blade when making that cut. That loosened up triangular bit can come shooting out of that groove right there at the end. It does it a bit in the video even, but it can become a downright projectile given enough pinching. Stand well to the side and make sure no one’s behind you.

3 Likes