Help ripping plywood

I’m looking at three sheets of 3/4" plywood and 1 sheet of 1/4" hardboard. I’m deciding whether to use my circular saw, or bring them up to the space. I need to rip each one in half longways. The intention is double ply workbench top with a hardboard topper.

I’ve got the rental pickup for today…would anyone in the wood shop today or this evening be willing to help me:

1. Carry the boards into the wood shop
  2. Help me with my first rip cuts using something other than a circular saw?
2 Likes

There will be someone there that can help, typically. You just have to ask. We have a sheet goods dolly to help with this was well.

This can be done table saw, but better to use the Festool Track Saw (Festool ‘Getting Started’ video) for this.

6 Likes

I’ve been drooling over the track saw, just have never used it…

I hate just asking people to help when they are in the middle of a project…i know it’s a what we do, but i always feel like I’m imposing on someone who typically doesn’t get quiet time to themselves. I’ll hold out for someone to volunteer before I hit someone up randomly…

I’m also willing to stop at Starbucks or a brown bottle vendor on my to the space :wink:

1 Like

@mblatz just now noticed the video. Thank you for sending that. Do we happen to have a sacrificial frame for cutting sheetgoods?

Festool make some of the best instructional/introductory videos from manufacturers out there.

Not as far as I know. Some 2x4s or pallets have worked for folks in the past, as well as setting up a couple of tables close enough so the space between them is 1 inch or so. Also, you only need to set/lock the blade depth to just barely thicker than the stock (like piece-of-paper thick).

2 Likes