Help Restoring McIntosh Amp and Tuner/Pre

Hello!

I recently acquired a McIntosh MC2105 and MX112 amplifier and tuner/pre, and could use help with the recaping, testing. I have purchased restoration kits for both with instructions from https://hifiaudio.com/, but as this is my first restoration it would be nice to have a pro guide me through especially on the soldering and the test bench. We can meet at the makerspace, and of course I will compensate you for the time. Thanks in advance and let me know if you are interested and have the necessary experience.

Thank you!
Josh

I’m not a McIntosh pro, but I should be able to help you with this without much effort as long as you’ll do the work. .

The big issues here are going to be disassembly, desoldering, resoldering and reassembly

It looks like recapping isn’t the only thing you may want to consider. This blog touches on some other issues you may want to research:

Let’s pick a time to get together and look at the objects of your affection and work on a plan from there.

We probably ought to talk about testing these before and after as well. It would be nice to know how well it meets or exceeds the original specs.

Oz

1 Like

I’ll be in late Saturday for a 5 PM meeting, and again Thursday evening March 2 6-8 PMfor ‘office hours’