Help request: Cutting some letters out of wood

Hey y’all! I’ve got some letters and decals I’d like to cut out for a sign I’m working on. Only problem is I’m a total rube when it comes to the laser cutter! And need someone to help me cut these out. I have everything here saved in a photoshop document and have converted each of the elements to svg’s.

The size is approximately 22.5" x 5", and I think .125" for the depth of the wood

Would anyone be willing to help me out with this? Thanks!

1. Is the black the part you want, or the part you are removing?

I ask because I’m not sure you’re going to get what you want when you cut it out.

If the black pieces are the pieces you want, at the size you’ve mentioned some of those pieces are so small they will likely fall through the laser grid. On those pieces, you should break your vector outline with a small “tab” about 1/32" long. That will retain your piece. You will have to cut that tab with a knife after the laser is finished.

If you are trying to retain the hatched/clear area, then you need to change some of the letters to be like stencils so you don’t lose the center portion. Depending on your cut settings you will get about 0.008 - 0.010" of kerf so account for that in your planning (i.e., don’t make the retention part too small).

1. Typically your best bet is for a stroked outline 0.001" wide and no fill to ensure that the software doesn’t think you want to raster engrave. Not positive about Lightburn …
1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, the black is the part I want. So I shall go into those vectors and add tabs where needed. I’ll post back once they’re ready :man_dancing: